Second DVD Drive not accessible but appears in device manager RRS feed

• Question

• I have two Sony DVD burners installed on my WHS machine... a DRU 710A and a DRU 820A.  They've both worked concurrently in all other operating system installations prior to WHS.  They are both recognized in the BIOS and under the WHS device manager it shows "CD-ROM" for the 820A and it works fine.

Oddly, the 710A shows up in the device manager as "DRU 710A" but it is not visible when I look at "My Computer."  In the device manager the 710A shows as "enabled" and "This device is working properly" but I can't use it.

Any thoughts?  Thanks much!
    Monday, February 1, 2010 12:11 AM

Answers

• Ignoring for the moment the fact that you don't really need any DVD burners in a Windows Home Server computer... :)

Do both DVD drives appear in the Disk Management MMC snap-in? (Not the Windows Home Server console.)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by arc115 Tuesday, February 2, 2010 3:58 AM
    Monday, February 1, 2010 1:55 AM

All replies

• Ignoring for the moment the fact that you don't really need any DVD burners in a Windows Home Server computer... :)

Do both DVD drives appear in the Disk Management MMC snap-in? (Not the Windows Home Server console.)
    • Marked as answer by arc115 Tuesday, February 2, 2010 3:58 AM
    Monday, February 1, 2010 1:55 AM
  • Afraid not.  The device manager is the only evidence, so far, that the system can see the drive.

BTW...thanks for the quick help!  I've seen a lot of your other posts.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 2:07 AM
  • Afraid not.  The device manager is the only evidence, so far, that the system can see the drive.

BTW...thanks for the quick help!  I've seen a lot of your other posts.
    You might try Rescan Disks (from the Disk Management MMC).
    Monday, February 1, 2010 3:12 AM
  • I gave "rescan" a try and no joy...odd little mystery.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 3:25 AM
  • Gents -- Thanks again for the help.  I checked the MMC snap-in again today and it was there.  I changed the drive letter on the second drive and all is good.  Much appreciated...
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 3:46 AM
  • Arc and or Ken
    Please excuse my ignorance but WHS is driving me mad while trying to add a Samsung USB CD/DVD drive.
    If I add it to my laptop running XP no problem XP spots the drive and loads the drivers.
    If I connect it to WHS nothing happens.. How do I see the device manager in WHS and indeed any of the normal 
    windows options like  "my computer" etc so I can try copying the driver from my laptop to the equilivent WHS
    directory.

I only see the shared folders, storage etc WHS frontend panel when I RDC I feel really dum.

I want to load S/W to rip CD's and DVD's straight into the server like mYmovies for instance. At the moment I
    Rip to my laptop then copy them to the shared drive. I know I can point the rip straight at the shared folder but
    I want to  leave the CD/DVD connected to the server.. Believe it or not I have been searching the BB's for any help
    but there is lots on installing new storage to WHS but not a simple CD drive...

Any help would be appreciated
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Copying the files from a client computer to your server is how Windows Home Server was designed to be used, and it's not designed for use as a desktop, an A/V editing studio, a CD ripping station, etc. so my main advice is to continue doing what you're doing today, ripping directly on the server is unsupported and will require you to log in to the server desktop.

If you really need to use the USB DVD-ROM drive on your server, you can log in using remote desktop. (Please be careful when doing so, as there are tools which can result in significant data loss if used incorrectly. Remember that Remote Desktop and everything you do there is at least technically unsupported.) Check in the Windows Disk Management MMC snap-in to see if the drive is actually detected but not assigned a drive letter; if that's the case assign it a drive letter.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 3:44 PM