XP and Windows 7, a question about the future? RRS feed

• Question

• Live Mesh is supported on XP and Windows 7, but Sync is only suported on the latter, so what am I supposed to do when I have an XP system in my mesh and a Win 7 system in my mesh that I keep synchronised files on and also use the remote desktop feature on. I know Mesh is only a beta, but I rely on that software everyday and when the plug is pulled on Mesh, Sync won't support my needs.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:17 PM

Answers

• You can continue to use Live Mesh on both machines until you upgrade the Windows 7 machine to use Wave 4 of Windows Live Essentials. Even then, you can leave Live Mesh on the XP machine until the back end for the existing beta is shut down and you can use the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com to initiate the remote desktop feature to the XP machine. There has been no notice about when they will shut down the environment for Live Mesh, but it won't be until after the Wave 4 bits are final and probably even many months after.

As for Sync, you will need to seek an alternative. There are 3rd party sync products that you can use instead of Live Sync.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:05 PM

All replies

• You can continue to use Live Mesh on both machines until you upgrade the Windows 7 machine to use Wave 4 of Windows Live Essentials. Even then, you can leave Live Mesh on the XP machine until the back end for the existing beta is shut down and you can use the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com to initiate the remote desktop feature to the XP machine. There has been no notice about when they will shut down the environment for Live Mesh, but it won't be until after the Wave 4 bits are final and probably even many months after.

As for Sync, you will need to seek an alternative. There are 3rd party sync products that you can use instead of Live Sync.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:05 PM
  • Ok, so move to 3rd party for Sync and use the Live Desktop for remote desktop until the Mesh backend is shutdown, at which point I'll lose that functionality unless either MS change Live Sync to support XP or I buy a new PC that runs Windows 7.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:12 PM
  • You can also continue to use the sync for Live Mesh until the Mesh backend is retired or you retire the XP machine. Basically, you don't need to switch to Live Sync or install Wave4 of Windows Live Essentials on the Win7 machine for now.

-steve

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:28 PM