using WHS with no video adapter, discrete or integrated RRS feed

• Question

• I know that there is a potential BIOS issue to get around before this is applicable to WHS but I was wondering if anyone is running their system without any video adapter of any kind?

I understand that WHS is designed to operate headlessly (no keyboard, monitor or mouse) though I wonder if there needs to be a video adapter so remote access and WHS console work when you log in.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 6:05 PM

Answers

•  Kiwi_in_KC wrote:

I know that there is a potential BIOS issue to get around before this is applicable to WHS but I was wondering if anyone is running their system without any video adapter of any kind?

I understand that WHS is designed to operate headlessly (no keyboard, monitor or mouse) though I wonder if there needs to be a video adapter so remote access and WHS console work when you log in.

As far as the bios question if you do not have an option that specifcally allows you to choose wether or not video, Mouse or Keyboard are installed look for an option that says

"Stop on all Errors" uncheck it or choose no. I have removed the agp video card from my HP PC with an ASUS motherboard and it works fine.

I think I may have actually damaged a cheap video card buy running it without a monitor plugged into it, now I have strange shadows with a monitor installed that were not there before hand. the card may need to see a proper load attached. (I.E. plugged in to a monitor) on the other hand it could be coincidence and the card may be dying but theres no way to verify it now and it runs fine without the card installed...

Rex

Friday, April 13, 2007 9:04 PM

All replies

• There is no reason I can think of why you couldn't do that, if your BIOS will POST without a video card installed. The video adapter is only needed to drive a signal to the monitor.
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 6:34 PM
  •  Kiwi_in_KC wrote:

I know that there is a potential BIOS issue to get around before this is applicable to WHS but I was wondering if anyone is running their system without any video adapter of any kind?

As far as the bios question if you do not have an option that specifcally allows you to choose wether or not video, Mouse or Keyboard are installed look for an option that says

"Stop on all Errors" uncheck it or choose no. I have removed the agp video card from my HP PC with an ASUS motherboard and it works fine.

I think I may have actually damaged a cheap video card buy running it without a monitor plugged into it, now I have strange shadows with a monitor installed that were not there before hand. the card may need to see a proper load attached. (I.E. plugged in to a monitor) on the other hand it could be coincidence and the card may be dying but theres no way to verify it now and it runs fine without the card installed...

Rex

Friday, April 13, 2007 9:04 PM
  • I am running WHS on a Dell PowerVault 715N. This server doesn't have any Video, PS/2, or USB ports. I had to run the install on a different PC and then transfer the hard drive to the Server because the current installer won't work using RIS.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 3:44 AM
  • I am happy to report that my WHS system is running flawlessly with no video adapter support. I set the BIOS to not stop on any errors and away it went. I am about to stash it away in the unfinished area of my lower level.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 9:51 PM
  • I realize you are probably after squeezing out wasted power, but I suspect that an integrated graphics (say an NFORCE 6100 based motherboard) would not draw much more power than a motherboard with no integrated graphics. Thus my thoughts of having to plug in a graphics card when something is wrong and it won't boot (even with the bios not stopping on any errors) would deter me from pulling the card.

Of course skipping the expense of a separate graphics card makes sense -- thus the appeal of a $70 NFORCE 6100 motherboard with integrated graphics.

Just my 2 cents on the matter...

Charlie

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 12:20 AM
  • To install WHS on the powervault 715n is a simple case of installing on another PC and then place the hard drive with the OS on into the pwervault.

Also does the powervault support 200gb and 300gb hard drives.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 9:29 AM
  •  Hokaday wrote:
    To install WHS on the powervault 715n is a simple case of installing on another PC and then place the hard drive with the OS on into the pwervault.

Also does the powervault support 200gb and 300gb hard drives.

Not any PC will work. Try to use one with the same chipset combination as the PowerVault. Don't install any additional drivers, all of the devices in the PowerVault are natively supported by 2003. I've heard reports that 2000 SP3 or later with the latest BIOS can access drives past 137GB but I haven't tried any.

If you intend to try this yourself I'd reccomend turning on console redirection.

Friday, February 1, 2008 2:06 AM