Error ox80070005 RRS feed

• Question

• Emachines T3092
    Windows Update Error
    0x80070005

Had to do a repair of the emachine.  The disk was missing or never recvd - friend was not sure.  Used a win home xp sp2 cd full version (mine) and his key on the back of his machine.  When he put in the key he used caps and caused a question of validity - called got person and put in number given.  Got a star in the sys tray. Went to site to validate, no star nolonger.  Got error when in update.  Got to end of download of win installer - would fail each time. After research downloaded the validation diag utility.  Ran it and it said everything validated. Submitted to tech support this morning. 

My questions are- is it usually at most 24 hours or could it be longer and

what exactly would be the solution - is it going to take a couple of days or do I just click on a link to a site and the site takes the machine through a active x sequence. 

Time is really of the essence - I know everything always is :~) I would have paid to call them if that option had been given.  But it was not so really I am just sitting on my worry right now...
    Friday, September 19, 2008 1:34 AM

Answers

•  I posted attn: Rick
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Friday, September 19, 2008 9:55 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2008 6:38 PM

All replies

• You need to contact eMachines (Gateway) and obtain the proper Windows XP reinstallation CD.

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb
    Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    Friday, September 19, 2008 2:38 AM
  • Thanks but been there done that - talked with emachines before and no support with that machine to get a cd.  Plus the problem I believe if I am correct was not the cd but that the genuine key that was on the back of the machine was typed in with the caps on .... at least that was verified by the microsoft cs that I talked to... I was just asking about support.  And how long it usually took.
    Friday, September 19, 2008 3:08 AM
  • Error repeated

• Edited by gigigirrl Friday, September 19, 2008 3:11 AM
    Friday, September 19, 2008 3:09 AM
  • gigigirrl,

I'd like to help. Please re-run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  This will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing. 

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Step 2: Tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled? Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your continued participation here on the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forums. I look forward to working with you.

Rick

Friday, September 19, 2008 4:06 PM
  •  I posted attn: Rick
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Friday, September 19, 2008 9:55 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Friday, September 19, 2008 9:54 PM