none
Unable to log in to activate Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I have orderd Windows XP CD via WGA validation process and received an invoice with the product key. I followed the instruction and used the tool to update the product key. This has been updated however I cannot activate the system now. Whenever I log in I get the following message: "A problem has stopped Windows to verify the licence status for this computer. If you wish to use this copy of operating system Windows, it is neccessary to activate it at Microsoft. Do you wish to activate system Windows now? Yes/No" If I press "Yes" it looks like it's loging me in, however it comes back again, if I press "No", it doesn't do anything at all.

I am unable to proceed with the activation and Windows validation. I can't log in to my computer at all. Please advise.

Thank you.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:49 AM

Answers

• Hello Ditta,

It would appear that your installation of XP was damaged to the point that the Product Key updater could not correct all of the problems on the system.

Suggestions:

1.  Try to log on using Safe Mode with Networking:

1. Restart the computer, and then press the F8 key during startup until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.
    2. On the Windows Advanced Options menu, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Networking, and then press ENTER.
    3. Select Microsoft Windows XP edition, and then press ENTER.

Note In this step, edition represents the correct Windows edition.
    4. If using the friendly logon, on the To begin, click your user name screen, click your user name and enter the password if using a password; if not using the friendly logon, in the Log On To Windows dialog box, enter your suer name and password if using a password.
    5. Press ENTER, and then click Yes.

2.  Wait for the WGA CD to arrive in the mail and do a repair reinstallation of Windows.

3.  Attempt to repair files and registry damage from malware removal that is preventing logon:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:53 PM