How to determine disk drives in Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Everyone has been very helpful in sharing knowledge, but this is very frustrating.  No where in the documentation does it say what drive leter is what for an HPMediaSmart server.  Is the bottom one which is the system drive (D)?  They are only listed as 1, 2, 3, 4.

I am in desperate need of doing a chkdsk /r  The instructions I receive say do this for each drive letter you have.

My drives are identified as:

ST350063 0as Scsi disk drive ( Sits in bay 1 The system drive)
    ST310003 4AS SCSI Disk Drive (Sits in bay 2)
    ST310003 4AS SCSI Disk Drive (Sits in bay 3) The one I am having trouble
    ST310003 33AS T91ERLS8 (Sits in bay 4) Brand new

All internal so there are no cables to check as they plug into a rack.  All listed as healthy.

I am running Vista64 bit
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 2:14 PM

Answers

• With HP server bottom disk will be system disk containing C and D partitions.

To run chkdsk on all disks in your server:

1. Logon to your server using remote desktop
        a. On a client do Start, Run, type mstsc.exe, Hit Enter (or type mstsc.exe in search box)
        b. Computername=name of your server (default = HPServer), User=Administrator, Password=WHS Console Password
    2. On the server open a command prompt (Start, Run, type cmd , and Hit Enter
    3. From the command prompt run the following commands:

a. net stop pdl 
       b. net stop whsbackup
       c. chkdsk D: /x /r

d. for /d %1 in (c:\fs\*) do chkdsk /x /r %1 
       e. chkdsk C: /r

System may ask you to run chkdsk at next boot (for C partition), Answer Y. Please note chkdsk may take a long time to run (depending on the size and number of disk and the problems found that need to be fixed) so you may need to be patient. Results for chkdsk on C can be found in windows application eventlog , source winlogon.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 9:39 AM
  • For more information on running chkdsk, see How to check all the drives in your server for errors. Windows Home Server will display network health warnings while this is running; these are expected.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 20, 2009 3:31 PM

All replies

• With HP server bottom disk will be system disk containing C and D partitions.

To run chkdsk on all disks in your server:

1. Logon to your server using remote desktop
        a. On a client do Start, Run, type mstsc.exe, Hit Enter (or type mstsc.exe in search box)
        b. Computername=name of your server (default = HPServer), User=Administrator, Password=WHS Console Password
    2. On the server open a command prompt (Start, Run, type cmd , and Hit Enter
    3. From the command prompt run the following commands:

a. net stop pdl 
       b. net stop whsbackup
       c. chkdsk D: /x /r

d. for /d %1 in (c:\fs\*) do chkdsk /x /r %1 
       e. chkdsk C: /r

System may ask you to run chkdsk at next boot (for C partition), Answer Y. Please note chkdsk may take a long time to run (depending on the size and number of disk and the problems found that need to be fixed) so you may need to be patient. Results for chkdsk on C can be found in windows application eventlog , source winlogon.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 9:39 AM
  • For more information on running chkdsk, see How to check all the drives in your server for errors. Windows Home Server will display network health warnings while this is running; these are expected.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 20, 2009 3:31 PM