How to ID one particular HDD and change it ??? RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS 2011 has 12 HDD and each of them are noted its Serial No., but seems WHS didn't list the HDD sequentially, now my question is how to ID one HDD among same model same size HDDs? didn't find way to get HDD S/N, anyone would help on this? thanks!
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 8:24 AM

All replies

• Windows may not enumerate your disks according to SATA channel number:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937251?wa=wsignin1.0

However, you should be able to find a disk drive's underlying SATA channel number in Windows Explorer by right-clicking on any disk, choosing Properties, then looking at the list of physical disks in the Hardware Tab.   Double-click on any disk shown in this list to open its Properties sheet which will display its physical location by hardware SATA channel number. You can then map this back to a Windows disk number and volume drive letters by switching to the Volumes tab and clicking the Populate button. 

It's a pain, but workable. I don't know of an easy way to view the disk serial number in Windows without use of a 3rd party utility.

• Edited by Gary Voth Thursday, January 3, 2013 12:09 AM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 12:08 AM
  • Gary,

Thanks for advice, though it may not what I want, re-do cabling is workable, but need to do every time when you want to chang disk, as you said it's lot of pain.

I have a list of 12 HDD with disk No. and S/N in hand, so ID a HDD is the right way to do.

Tried HDD ID Utility software, unfortunately it can't work properly, may caused by X64 OS, but not sure

Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:29 AM
  • If you can find the SATA channel number for the disk in question, you should be able to ID it physically by tracing your cabling. For a home-built server, that's the best we can do.  Originally, WHS v1 OEM systems were required to have a hardware mechanism for this (drive bay LEDs) but that's not something that's common on home-built systems. It's a shame that Microsoft can't sort this in software somehow.
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:32 PM
  • Believe there are the way to figure out the solutions, just we don't know yet. Cheers.
    Sunday, January 6, 2013 5:37 AM