Activation issue after HD change RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Acer Aspire M5100. PC The HD crapped out. Totally unreadable even as a slave in another computer. I bought a new HD and installed Windows XP Pro Service pack 2. The Install CD never asked me for a product key, which I thought odd. But everything worked file. About 25 days into use, all reset up with software etc, I started getting the screen that say's "x days to activate windows, would like to do it now? I type yes and a second screen pops up and says "Windows already activated." So I kinda let it go. Well at the 30 day mark My massage now says "This copy of windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on." "Do want to activate now?" I say yes and it throws me to the grassy knoll. I say no and I get the login screen back. I am using a valid "Acer Service Pack 2" disk set that came with the computer. I have the Key tag still attached to the computer. I can get to Safe mode but have on internet connection. Plus megs says you cannot activate from safe mode... What do I do.? I have read all kinds of info regarding this issue but they all seem to reference IE 7 or 8. I never installed either. Plus it was a clean install on a new drive... No rebuild...
    I have done some more research and discovered the MGADiag.exe program. I downloaded and ran it. It says "Validation Status: Genuine.
    I have read in other sections that one cannot move an OEM version to a different mother board. I did not change the mother board. The only difference is the hard drive.
    The last three sections in the Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YDCK2-GT9BB-VJBVM agrees with my product Key pasted on the case, even though I did not type it in.(see above). If needed I will provide the first two sections to show it is real.
    I called Microsoft and got a real person and they said there is no more support for windows XP.
    How do I get around this?  I do not want to scrap all my stuff to get a new PC and new  Application Software licenses or up grade to Windows 7 compatible.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YDCK2-GT9BB-VJBVM
    Windows Product Key Hash: 8FZ3Rpa/C13qEHY9TaWQSqfR6R0=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2250237-68928
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {7B3E55F3-51D6-4F94-90EE-19178787166B}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{7B3E55F3-51D6-4F94-90EE-19178787166B}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VJBVM</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2250237-68928</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-73586283-1326574676-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Acer                </Manufacturer><Model>Aspire M5100        </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>R02-A1</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20071107000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>5E02300701842078</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1C4D4:Acer Incorporated
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Monday, September 12, 2011 8:12 PM

Answers

• Hello dataylx,

You might be able to address your immediate issue of the expired 30-day activation grace period by resetting it.  Follow these steps:

1.  If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, do so.

2.  At the command prompt, type this command exactly (space, caps, and comma are essential):

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

3.  Restart.

If you were successful, your activation grace period will have been reset, giving you more time to work on the problem.

Darin's post shows that the currently installed product key is a genuine PK, and the type of license (OEM/Systembuilder) shows that it is taken from a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).

Can you verify that the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) on the computer has XP Professsional as the product name, and can you verify that the CoA has "Acer" printed on the line underneath the product name?

The problem that I see with your report is that the computer is an Acer Aspire but that it appears from this line that an HP/Compaq installation disc was used to install Windows XP onto the computer:

Use of a genuine Acer XP Pro recovery disc would have installed an "SLP" licensed installation of XP onto the computer and would have installed the default Acer XP Pro product key onto the computer.

You will have activation problems like the one you are having if you try to use one manufacturer's recovery discs to install Windows XP on another manufacturer's computer.

Here are several solutions to that problem:

1.  Use the correct Acer recovery disc to install the licensed (as described on the computer's CoA) operaing system back onto the computer.  The SLP activation system included in the correct recovery disc will see the Acer BIOS data and certificate in the computer's motherboard and will "self-activate."

2.  Use a genuine, hologrammed Microsoft systembuilder/OEM installation disc (not another manufacturer's recovery disc, and not a retail MS disc) for the licensed edition of Windows XP as described on your CoA (IOW, if the CoA is for XP Home you have to use a systembuilder/OEM disc for XP Home), along with the product key printed on the computer's CoA, to install Windows XP on the computer.  After installation is complete, start the Activaion Wizard and choose the option to activate by Telephone.  When the automated phone system answers, do not say anything or enter anything into the system---this is supposed to switch you over to a live aactivation representative.  Explain that you lost your Acer recovery disc so you are using a genuine MS hologrammed systembuilder disc to install XP, using the product key from the computer's CoA, and you need to activate the installation.

3.  See if Acer can sell you a recovery disc for your computer:  https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer   If not, try a third party recovery disc supplier, such as www.restoredisks.com.

Monday, September 12, 2011 11:07 PM

All replies

• Hello dataylx,

I have check the Product Key being used and it shows as Valid and Genuine so that isn't the problem.

If I remember correctly, I believe this is an issue that is fairly easy to resolve but my XP knowledge is a little rusty so I've asked one of the Community Contributes, who is an expert in XP, to take a look.  Hopefully he will see my email and respond in short order, but in the mean time I will look back in my notes and see if I can't find the fix myself.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Monday, September 12, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Hello dataylx,

You might be able to address your immediate issue of the expired 30-day activation grace period by resetting it.  Follow these steps:

1.  If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, do so.

2.  At the command prompt, type this command exactly (space, caps, and comma are essential):

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

3.  Restart.

If you were successful, your activation grace period will have been reset, giving you more time to work on the problem.

Darin's post shows that the currently installed product key is a genuine PK, and the type of license (OEM/Systembuilder) shows that it is taken from a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).

Can you verify that the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) on the computer has XP Professsional as the product name, and can you verify that the CoA has "Acer" printed on the line underneath the product name?

The problem that I see with your report is that the computer is an Acer Aspire but that it appears from this line that an HP/Compaq installation disc was used to install Windows XP onto the computer:

Use of a genuine Acer XP Pro recovery disc would have installed an "SLP" licensed installation of XP onto the computer and would have installed the default Acer XP Pro product key onto the computer.

You will have activation problems like the one you are having if you try to use one manufacturer's recovery discs to install Windows XP on another manufacturer's computer.

Here are several solutions to that problem:

1.  Use the correct Acer recovery disc to install the licensed (as described on the computer's CoA) operaing system back onto the computer.  The SLP activation system included in the correct recovery disc will see the Acer BIOS data and certificate in the computer's motherboard and will "self-activate."

2.  Use a genuine, hologrammed Microsoft systembuilder/OEM installation disc (not another manufacturer's recovery disc, and not a retail MS disc) for the licensed edition of Windows XP as described on your CoA (IOW, if the CoA is for XP Home you have to use a systembuilder/OEM disc for XP Home), along with the product key printed on the computer's CoA, to install Windows XP on the computer.  After installation is complete, start the Activaion Wizard and choose the option to activate by Telephone.  When the automated phone system answers, do not say anything or enter anything into the system---this is supposed to switch you over to a live aactivation representative.  Explain that you lost your Acer recovery disc so you are using a genuine MS hologrammed systembuilder disc to install XP, using the product key from the computer's CoA, and you need to activate the installation.

3.  See if Acer can sell you a recovery disc for your computer:  https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer   If not, try a third party recovery disc supplier, such as www.restoredisks.com.

Monday, September 12, 2011 11:07 PM
  • I missed the discrepancy between it being an Acer PC using HP recovery disc software.

Thanks for the help Dan!

Darin MS
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Dan.

Thank you for your reply.

First, I tried your rundll command from the command prompt. I tried it three times. Each time I get the same response:

"rundll32.exe', is not recognized as an internal, external, operable command or batch file.

Yes I verified that the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) on the computer has XP Professional as the product name, and has "Acer" actually says Acer Incorporated underneath the product name.

I noticed the string: Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq. Didn't understand it.

I used the cd's from the disks provided with the computer. It even inserted the correct product code. I did not type it in. My questions would be, why did it not ask for key? Why was the correct key inserted? Why did I not get a activate screen or warning until week three, and why did it and still does say windows already activated. Did something go wrong?

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Hello dataylx,

It's more likely to be a case of an issue with the environmental variables than an issue of the file not being there or being corrupt.  On a default installation of XP rundll32.exe is usually located in the c:\windows\system32 folder. If yours is not there or corrupt a whole lot of stuff won't be running right on the computer.

If your default command prompt does not have a path to the normal location for rundll32.exe, then you can work around this by changing the command prompt as necessary using standard command prompt (similar to DOS commands) commands so the current folder at the prompt is c:\windows\system32.  Then run the command exactly as shown.

If the discs provided with the computer did the current installation resulting in an OEM product key from a CoA being entered without interactive user involvement and resulting in the "HP Compaq" line in the mgadiag report, then the discs are suspect.  Real Acer recovery discs would NOT have inserted the product key from the CoA.  As I noted real Acer recovery discs would have put down an OEM/SLP installation of XP and would have installed the default Acer SLP product key.  If the discs have been tampered with there is no telling what might have been hacked.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:29 PM
  • I cd'd to windows\system32\

typed in rundll32.exe(space)syssetup,SetUpOodeBnk. Error box pop up says "error in syssetup"

"Missing entry: SetupOodeBnk"

I tried it with and with out a space after syssetup.

I tried the Acer site and they said no more support for the computer.

Is there a logical way to get this thing going w/out a complete redo? As I said earlier I have this all setup all legit. If I can buy a new XP license and over wright XP and carry on I will do it. But if I have to start from scratch, it will be cheaper to buy a windows 7 PC. If XP is no longer supported by Microsoft why do I want to buy it. I just wanted to resurrect a perfectly good, though 10 year old, PC.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Try using the Windows XP Product Key Update Tool with the product key that is affixed to the computer.  Then you'll need to "activate by phone".
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:22 PM
  • Hello dataylx,

You wrote, "typed in rundll32.exe(space)syssetup,SetUpOodeBnk. Error box pop up says "error in syssetup""

Not Oode

Oobe

I'd try Carey's suggestion, too!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Ok guys:

That was a typo in my last post. I did it again making sure it was correct and same error.

Error in syssetup

"Missing entry: SetupOobeBnk"

I tried Carey's idea and it came back with:

"This app not supported in safe mode"

I appreciate all your help but I guess Ole' Bill got me. I am going to switch Linux on that machine. I use Firefox, Open Office and Mozilla Thunderbird anyway. Ck my diagnostics report.

I am installing it along side this version of windows for now until I can get some more files out.... any more ideas, I will check back.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:56 PM
  •  

I have Ubuntu Linux running an the puter now. Much to my surprise, Linux sees all my windows files and is allowing me to  email them back to my wife's PC, I have purchased a refurbished HP 4.2 megahertz 80 gig hd. It has XP pro set up on it. 200.00 free shipping. Just a note in case you didn't know, with validation, you cannot even boot safe mode with networking. Bill won but I am still happy I guess. Learned a lot and plan to further pursue the Linux route as I needed this puter for website management for wife's business...

Thank you all so much for your time and help...

Dana

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:11 PM