none
Lowest certificate for VB.net? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm in my second year of uni studying a non-computing related course and I regret it.
    I learnt Visual Basic at A-level, getting an A, but I'm not sure whether the syllabus was just the tip of the VB iceberg. I learnt OOP and SQL though.

I'd love to learn more and earn a certificate for programming, even though there's a chance I may not need it for my career.

I think the old MCSD certificate included VB, but I can't find any certificated that do now - maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?
    I wouldn't mind learning HTML5 or C+ for a certificate if VB.net is no longer supported.

I know I might sound silly, doing it for the sake of it, but I'm up for the challenge.
    Emily

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do what you like to do. Programming can be great hobby, especially if you job is something.

Many people work in IT with non computer related degree. Many employers consider it a plus if you have multiple unrelated skills.

Look at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcpd.aspx#tab2 for an overview of current development certifications.

VB.Net is supported. From one of the exams (70-511) you can find the following statement:

Questions that contain code will be presented in either VB or C#. Candidates can select one of these languages when they start the exam.

• Edited by Arjen Krap Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by AcroCake Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:34 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by AcroCake Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:23 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:49 PM
  • Hi,

there are no exams that only targets VB. Because you're a student I would recommend that you have a look at the MTA exams which are for students - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mta.aspx#certification

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:27 PM
    Answerer
  • Is 70-511 just one of the exams, and so not certified on its own?

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:24 PM
  • Is 70-511 just one of the exams, and so not certified on its own?

Thanks for your help.

70-511 is a certification in it's own right so you will be certified in MCTS: .NET Framework 4, Windows Applications once you pass the exam.  It is also one of the exams which makes up the MCPD: Windows Developer 4 certification (there are 4 exams required for this certification http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/visual-studio-all.aspx#tab2)

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:23 AM
  • Thanks, Jeff.

I probably look like I can't read a simple grid, but I only happened upon these certificates today and wasn't sure whether I needed all the roles in the table to become a MCTS, or whether I could just pick one and get one certificate (phew!)

Thanks everyone :)

Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:54 AM