VIA Chipsets RRS feed

• Question

• Hi people,

I was just wondering what peoples success rates are with Via chipsets including VIA onboard video and SATA. I am thinking of building an AMD based machine for a WHS server that has a VIA chipset, currently I am testing on a Intel Celeron 2.6, 1GB Ram, intel chipset system. But this machine must go to its new owner soon. The intel chipsets are detected very well under WHS and other versions of Windows. Has the experience with VIA been similiar? Any response would be good. Thanks
    Friday, February 23, 2007 11:18 AM

Answers

• The driver experience is pretty much the same as for Windows Server 2003. If you can get drivers that work on that, they should install on Windows Home Server just as well. Neither of the chipsets I've used (ATI, NVIDIA) were terribly well supported out of the box, but the driver packages loaded smoothly and everything's running fine. I expect new VIA stuff would be much the same.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 11:40 AM

All replies

• The driver experience is pretty much the same as for Windows Server 2003. If you can get drivers that work on that, they should install on Windows Home Server just as well. Neither of the chipsets I've used (ATI, NVIDIA) were terribly well supported out of the box, but the driver packages loaded smoothly and everything's running fine. I expect new VIA stuff would be much the same.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 11:40 AM
  • I had a few issues with the Via products. Getting WHS to succesfully install on a SATA HD was hard, and i had to input the drivers twice during the installation. Once installed however, everything works fine, including audio, graphics and network

Barty
    Friday, February 23, 2007 2:34 PM
  • Thank you for the replies. Thats what I wanted to know with compatibility. Sounds like it should be alright to install the standard VIA drivers after install. I would assume the same applies to SIS and Nvidia chipsets. Thanks again.
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 1:21 AM