Select Subfolder to Sync from Large Folder RRS feed

• Question

• I've read a couple of year old posts about the ability to sync subfolders, but don't know if it was ever addressed. Like many others, I have a large Music directory with nearly 40 GB of music. On some of the devices, there isn't enough space to store all of that music, so people would like to selectively choose subfolders to sync. My first level folders are music genres, of which I have 25, so it isn't a possibility to individually sync each genre. Is there a way or are there plans to implement the ability to selectively sync subfolders of a mesh folder?
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:05 PM

Answers

• You can sync sub-folders, but not if they are part of a folder that is already in the Mesh.
    So, to resolve this issue, you'd need to remove the top level folder from the Mesh and then set up each subfolder as a Mesh folder by itself and choose which devices to sync each Mesh folder with.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 9:03 PM

All replies

• You can sync sub-folders, but not if they are part of a folder that is already in the Mesh.
    So, to resolve this issue, you'd need to remove the top level folder from the Mesh and then set up each subfolder as a Mesh folder by itself and choose which devices to sync each Mesh folder with.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 9:03 PM
  • But like I said, there are more than 20 sub-folders, making me run into the folder limit. Is there no workaround?
    Monday, January 4, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Unfortunately, none.
    You may want to consider switching from Live Mesh to Live Sync - http://sync.live.com - which has different restrictions, not the least of which is no Live Desktop for cloud storage. Note that you can currently run both on the same machine(s), but you should never have the same folder(s) being synchronized with both services or you'll probably see data loss.
    Note that Live Mesh and Live Sync are expected to merge in some fashion in the future, so you can also sit tight and wait to see what the next version brings.
    -steve
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:01 PM