WHServer Activation RRS feed

• Question

• I am a tech net subscriber and installed WHS. In the beginning I had some hardware and installation issues and had to reinstall the product a few times. I entered the product key on the first go round and did not enter it in the following installations. I finally have it up and running like a clock as of today. I went to activate the product and it tells me my product key is not valid. I verified the product key and still no luck. Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,

Allen 

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:22 PM

All replies

• Allen,

I would call TechNet Support to assist. If it was activated previously, depending on the hardware changes of the system you may not be able to re-activate with that key. TechNet support should be able to help you out.

Regards,

Mike 

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:55 PM
  • The product key you obtained from Technet can only be used once.

What I would do is try phone activation; explain that you had to reinstall.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:26 PM
  • I have tried to call Tech Net support earlier today and after being on hold for about 5 minutes the line was disconnected. It took 20 minutes just to get there. They did not seem to know how to route a call for Windows Home Server. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Allen

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:27 PM
  • Ken,

That was the phone number I tried at first. They said they could not activate Windows Home Server. You know the rest of the story so far. I wonder if anyone else is having this issue? Thanks for the help, I am still open to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Allen

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:33 PM
  • If you attempt activation from the server desktop and it fails due to an invalid product key, you should be presented with a prompt that offers other methods of activation. I know that others have been able to reactivate after a motherboard/CPU/RAM change; there are a few questions to be answered, but that's really it. The only thing I can think of is that you asked specifically for a product key for Technet software, rather than letting them guide you through the process. In that case, I'd say they were correct to refuse you, since Technet software is only for the subscriber, and the subscriber can get a key on their own (only one for Windows Home Server, though). :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 1:23 AM