Windows Home Server Remote Access has encountered an error RRS feed

• Question

1. I have just started using windows home server on a desktop pc that I no longer use, I got it on the 120 day evaluation, everything work apart from remote access, I can log into the server from a different network than my home, and I can see the shared folders, but when I click the computers tab I recieve this error message 

Windows Home Server Remote Access has encountered an error. 
        To fix this error, please try the following:
        Click here to refresh this page.

Click here to return to the Remote Access home page and try your task again.

If you're still experiencing difficulties please talk with your home server administrator for assistance.

Now after some googling, I found this post http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/c5fabbb9-c447-4bef-ae77-243ffc9e0a17 where it advices to do the following

Shut down w3wp.exe on the server (Ctrl,alt,Del and end the w3wp.exe process), .
    2. Go to C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs, delete all w3wp.xxxx.xxxxx.xxx.log. 
    3. Go to C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\
    4. Right click logs, click properties, click "sharing and security"
    5. Click the Security Tab
    6. Grant account “NETWORK SERVICE” "Modify" privilege instead of “Read & Write”.
    7. Click ok.

Reboot Windows Home Server

or this

1) Logon to the Server, either at the console or via RDP. 

2) Click Start, Run and enter %QLOGS% and click Ok. 

3) In Windows Explorer, click the Up (one folder) on the toolbar.

4) Right click the Logs folder and select Properties.

5) Go to the Security tab and assign the Network Service account Modify permissions. 

6) Click Start, Run and enter NET STOP W3SVC and click Ok.

7) Click Start, Run and enter NET START W3SVC and click Ok.

I have tried both also allowing full access,  instead of modify, none of it helps and I still recieve the error.

WHS Is all up to date according to the console, can someone please help as I cannot find anymore on this fault.

Sorry if this is long winded but I wanted to get in as much info as poss.

Thank you in advance and look forward to a reply soon.

Monday, June 29, 2009 8:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    attempting solutions, which did work for a version, which was still at Beta in the posting time, may not have been a good idea (and could end in a necessary server reinstall as the final result).

If you try to run http://server from within your network, would that work? (Expect to see a certificate warning in this case, which you can ignore.)
    You use Internet Explorer as browser? Which version?

Do you get errors or warnings in the event logs of your home server around the time of the attempted access?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:38 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Thank you for getting back to me, when I type http://<server name> It brings up the usual log in screen after certificate screen, I log in with my user details which has remote access privaledges, but when I click the computer tab it has the same error. I am currently using internet explorer 7 on the local machine version 7.0.6002.18005 on the server it has windows 8 the latest one windows update. Unfortunately I am unsure how to get into the events log if you advise me I can look into it. Hope this helps.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:35 PM
  • If you have installed the WHS Toolkit following the guide (since it is not installed like an usual Add-In) you can check the event logs via console. Otherwise you can also use Remote Desktop or local login (Account name Administrator, password the console password), which is not supported and should only be used for special cases like troubleshooting.
    Click Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer.
    Check the system log and the application log for errors and warnings.
    You can also try to access the remote access site directly from the servers desktop.
    If you cannot find anything there, you could try, if deactivate and activate remote access in the console helps.

Which version has your WHS? (In Settings/Ressources, the numbers should all contain a 2030.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, June 29, 2009 9:36 PM
  • I am running whs version ending 2030.0 except the console which is 2030.2

Ok the errors and warnings I am getting in the application log are ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0 web event 1309 (this is a warning), and Windows search service gatherer 3013 (this is an error)

In the system log they are TermServdevice (Category) None (Event) 1111

Hope this makes sense to you because its getting a bit above my head now, Im taking a guess it seems to be a prob with asp.net thing because the warning seems to pop up at the time i try to access the computers tab according to the logs.

Thank you in advance for helping me with this.

P.S Not sure if this will help think I have edited enough info to stop any unwanted access

Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 29/06/2009 23:27:10
    Event time (UTC): 29/06/2009 22:27:10
    Event ID: b2bf5e8eb9ad4c8d8376d247f6557402
    Event sequence: 5
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/Remote-2-128907880134843750
        Trust level: Full
        Application Virtual Path: /Remote
        Application Path: c:\inetpub\remote\
        Machine name: SERVER NAME

Process information:
        Process ID: 2532
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
        Exception type: TargetInvocationException
        Exception message: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Request information:
        Request URL: https://<SERVER NAME>.homeserver.com:443/Remote/admin.aspx
        Request path: /Remote/admin.aspx
        User host address: 192.168.0.1
        User: USER
        Is authenticated: True
        Authentication Type: Forms
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:
        Thread ID: 1
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
        Is impersonating: False
        Stack trace:    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceView.InvokeMethod(ObjectDataSourceMethod method, Boolean disposeInstance, Object& instance)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments)
       at System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect()
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind()
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.DataBind()
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound()
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.CreateChildControls()
       at System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls()
       at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    • Edited by Garethm1976 Monday, June 29, 2009 10:34 PM Added extra info
    Monday, June 29, 2009 10:21 PM