Where is MS Money 2005 data and backup files RRS feed

• Question

• I want to back up all my MS Money data and the backup file to another local servers. Anyone know where MS Money put these files or configure this files.

I have done the following:

From tools -> settings -> Backup options:

I checked the "Automatically back up files yo hard disk on exit"

Save in: C:\Users\Peter\Documents\My Money\MS Money 2005 Backup\My New Money Backup

However, this file was NOT updated since I first installed MS Money 2005 last year. And I have backup a number of times when I exited MS Money.

Could some one point me to the right direction please?

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 11:23 PM

All replies

• You can find all your Money and backup files by issuing the following in a command window:

dir /s C:*.mny
         dir /s C:*.mbf

If the files are stored on a different disk, substitute the letter of that disk for the C.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:16 AM
  • I have since run the backup on MS Money again from:

File->Backup. Select the radio button: Back from Hard Disk and specified the PATH.

Save in: C:\Users\Peter\Documents\My Money\MS Money 2005 Backup\My New Money Backup2.

A new backup file was created. From now on, this file was updated on Exit with Backup.

However, the question still outstanding is that where the location of the MS data (i.e not the back up file). I cannot find any .mny, .m?? files that is related to MS Money.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:19 AM
  • Can you open a current version of your Money?  If so, in Money, select File > Open.  This will bring up a Windows Explorer window that shows the location of the Money.mny file that you currently have open.  All of your Money data is in that Money.mny file.    To backup that file, just copy it to your other server.

For the .bak files that you created previously and that are now lost, do the search as recommended above by Barry-Schwartz.  Depending on your version of Windows, you may instead be able to just use the search function that is build into Windows.  Try searching  on *.bak.

The .bak files are compressed files that also contain all of your Money data as of the date and time that each backup was created.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:41 AM
  •  Try these two commands in a command window:

dir /s C:\*.mny
         dir /s C:\*.mbf

They add a backslash to what Barry-Schwarz suggested. If you find your files in C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\VirtualStore, we can explain why and how to prevent that in the future.

I like Agent Ransack as a search program.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:18 PM