validation of Office product RRS feed

• Question

• My 'computer' has been telling me that the product key for my Office program belongs to a larger business. I bought the computer from DELL in 2007 with windows vista home premium (Danish version). I have the original key, so I have a hard time understanding why I'm being 'accused' of having an illegal version of the program.
    • Moved by Darin Smith MS Friday, February 26, 2010 9:43 PM Office issue moved to Office forum (From:Windows Vista Validation Issues (Windows Vista))
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:19 PM

Answers

• Hello Lina K-W,

Office does not come automaticly with Windows.

If you bought the computer directly from Dell, then during the order process, you would have had to specify that you wanted Office and it would have cost more.

If you bought the computer thru a Retailer, it is likely they installed the Office.

Either way, the Product key for Office would have come in the Documentation that came with the computer. If that is the same Product Key currently being used in the installed copy of Non-Genuine Office then I recommend that you download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into Notepad and print it out.

Down towards the bottom is a section labled "OGA Data-->".  Below that will be two lines:

Office Status: <- will list the overall Office Status  
    <Name and version of the Office here>:  <-will list the specific status for that copy of Office

Likely the the status will be a Blocked or Invalid VLK.  VLK (or Volume License Keys) are not sold to consumers and are only provided to orginizations that have a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft.

*An Invalid VLK is a Key that was not created by Microsoft and was made thru the use of a Key Generator program.
    *A VLK is Blocked when Microsoft blocks a key at the request of the originization that owned the key. Usually because the key had leaked to the internet.

Now, with that printout of the Diagnostic Report, I recommend contacting the person or company you bought the Office Software from and ask why the key they provided is Pirated.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:21 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:18 PM