none
Vista Business Suddenly "Not Genuine" RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running Vista for a few months. I have a removable drive
    on my computer to switch between Vista and XP.
    After replacing my DVD ROM with a SONY DVD RW, I got the
    "This Copy of Windows is not Genuine" message. I tried activating
    online without success and then tried phone activation. The operator
    told me my copy was countefeit. (My Vista Business DVD is an upgrade
    version in retail packaging). When I tried to run
    the Genuine Microsoft Software Validation, I get:
    "Validation Incomplete, The validation service is unable to determine
    whether this copy of Windows Vista is genuine." I have tried several earlier

restore points without success.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Detailed Status: 0xc004f012
    Cached / Grace status: 0xc004c4a8 / 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-8Q22B-K8BM3-MRW4W
    Windows Product Key Hash: N1+BJIdShRdqRg3OhCo6d8hCl70=
    Windows Product ID: 89576-009-0000025-71808
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.000
    ID: {2722CCC9-8046-48A8-A500-17D6EC11FA0A}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: (N/A, hr = 0xc004f012) / 0x0 / (N/A, hr = 0xc004f012)
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Business
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 101 Not Activated
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002_025D1FF3-282-80041010_025D1FF3-170-80041010_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-434-80040154_025D1FF3-178-80040154_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{2722CCC9-8046-48A8-A500-17D6EC11FA0A}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.000</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-MRW4W</PKey><PID>89576-009-0000025-71808</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1736201674-638316953-2316872509</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>AWARD_</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20040819000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>CE313507018400EA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-0031-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>2007 Microsoft Office system</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>6B8D4FAA15B1968</Val><Hash>sBj0ErGFix6AA6pgUy+3ZHMP2kU=</Hash><Pid>89451-OEM-6618077-08305</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 7:51 PM

Answers

• Hi mmehall,

OK, I see the issue. 

Background: When a user installs Vista, they have the option to enter their Product Key or not. If the user does not enter a Product Key, they are given a 30 graice period untill they are required to enter their Product Key. In this case Vista will use a Default Product Key untill the user's Product Key is entered.

Resolution: From your Diagnostic Report, I see that your Vista currently has the Default Product Key installed. To resolve the issue, you will need to enter the Product Key that came with your retail version of Vista. To do this, please follow the below steps

1) Click the "Start" button

2) Right Click "Computer" and select "Properties"

3) In the window that comes up, Click the "Change product key" link located at the bottom of that window. 

4) Enter your Retail Product Key and follow the steps to complete the change.

5) Depending on if you did or did not followed the option to Activate windows (during the Change Product Key process) you may need to Activate Vista.

Hope this helps,

Darin Smith

WGA

Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:18 PM
  •  mmehall wrote:
    I don't want to reinstall Windows 2000 as that will wipe out my data. Any other suggestions?

I'm sure the Microsoft reps won't be able to recommend this, but there is an EASY way to solve your problem.  Do an upgrade install on top of your currently running Vista installation. It is a commonly used workaround, discovered not long after Vista hit retail. (Do a fresh install with no product key, then do a Vista upgrade using the proper product key. You've already done the first step, now do an in-place upgrade to complete the second step.)

Google for more info:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=vista+upgrade+clean+install

Saturday, September 15, 2007 12:33 AM

All replies

• Did you upgrade from Windows XP?

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:20 PM
  • No, I did not upgrade from Windows XP. I upgraded from Windows 2000. Does that make a difference?

-Mark

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:25 PM
  • Windows 2000 Professional is eligible for an upgrade copy to a corresponding, or better edition of Windows Vista, but a clean install is required. (source: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradepaths.mspx)

Did you conduct a Clean Install when installing Vista?

Darin Smith
    WGA

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:33 PM
  • Yes, I did a clean install. Vista was working fine before I replaced the DVD drive with a DVD-RW.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Hi mmehall,

OK, I see the issue. 

Background: When a user installs Vista, they have the option to enter their Product Key or not. If the user does not enter a Product Key, they are given a 30 graice period untill they are required to enter their Product Key. In this case Vista will use a Default Product Key untill the user's Product Key is entered.

Resolution: From your Diagnostic Report, I see that your Vista currently has the Default Product Key installed. To resolve the issue, you will need to enter the Product Key that came with your retail version of Vista. To do this, please follow the below steps

1) Click the "Start" button

2) Right Click "Computer" and select "Properties"

3) In the window that comes up, Click the "Change product key" link located at the bottom of that window. 

4) Enter your Retail Product Key and follow the steps to complete the change.

5) Depending on if you did or did not followed the option to Activate windows (during the Change Product Key process) you may need to Activate Vista.

Hope this helps,

Darin Smith

WGA

Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:18 PM
  • Hi Darin,

Thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't help. I can't get to the "Start" button because the machine boots up with the "Windows Activation Screen" and "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting" dialog open. When I select the "Retype your product key" option from the "Windows Activation Screen" and type in my retail product key, I get the message, "The Software License Service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading and not for clean installations."

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Mark  

Friday, September 14, 2007 1:46 AM
  •  

I think I see the core issue.

There are 2 ways to install an Upgrade version of Vista.

1) If the previous version of windows is compatable with Vista, (see http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradepaths.mspx) you can do an In-Place install. Basicly installing Vista over the top of the previous windows. This upgrade path allows you to retain your applications, files, and settings as they were in your previous edition of Windows.

2) If the previous version of windows is Not compatable with Vista but still qualifies for an Upgrade Version of Vista (i.e. Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional x64 and a few types of XP) you would need to do a Clean Install.

There are 2 types of Clean installs

a) Installing from within the previous version of Windows - this method allows the Upgrade Vista to confirm that the previous Windows qualifies for the Upgrade.

or

b) Installing by booting directly to the Windows Vista DVD - this method Does Not allows the Upgrade Vista to confirm that the previous Windows qualifies for the Upgrade.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the error message you are getting ("The Software License Service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading and not for clean installations.") it appears that you did the type of Clean Install list under b) when you should have done the one listed under a)

The only way I know to resolve your issue, is to reinstall your Windows 2000 Professional (or any other Windows that qualifies for vista upgrade) and the follow the below steps: 

(below steps copied from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884/en-us)

Method 1: Run the Setup program after you start the computer by using the current operating system

1. Start the computer by using the current operating system.
    2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
    3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:
    If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.
    If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.
    b. Click Install now.
    4. When you reach the Which type of installation do you want? screen, click Custom (advanced), and then follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen to install Windows Vista.

I hope this helps,

Darin Smith

WGA

Friday, September 14, 2007 8:00 PM
  • Hmmm. that doesn't explain why Vista suddenly stopped working. Was I inadvertently running on the trial key for a few months? (I thought I had activated using the retail product key.) Wouldn't I have received reminders to activate?

I don't want to reinstall Windows 2000 as that will wipe out my data. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Friday, September 14, 2007 10:42 PM
  •  mmehall wrote:

I'm sure the Microsoft reps won't be able to recommend this, but there is an EASY way to solve your problem.  Do an upgrade install on top of your currently running Vista installation. It is a commonly used workaround, discovered not long after Vista hit retail. (Do a fresh install with no product key, then do a Vista upgrade using the proper product key. You've already done the first step, now do an in-place upgrade to complete the second step.)

Google for more info:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=vista+upgrade+clean+install

Saturday, September 15, 2007 12:33 AM
  • Thanks awoolf,

That worked but what a pain. I essentially had to do two installs. But it did authenticate. My Diagnostic Report now says:
    "Validation Status: Genuine"

Saturday, September 15, 2007 4:39 AM
  • Thanks awoolf, although it's not something I could suggest, if it worked, it worked

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, September 27, 2007 9:51 PM
  • I was running server 2003 in vpc2007 from vista businessx64 and pop-up suddenly said I need to activate again. I cant tell for sure if I previously activated or not but it had 22days left. I was gonna upgrade to XP anyway though...
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:41 PM