Site crawled but number of pages indexed is decreasing dramatically RRS feed

• Question

• Our site is crawled regurarly but our number of indexed pages are on a decrease.  We had over 50,000 pages indexed not too long ago now we are below 1000.  What is going on?  We continue to rank and index well on other Engines.

We still have our XML sitemap and added the link to our robots.txt.  Sitemap is updated regurarly also.

Are there issues with how MSN handles 301 Redirects?  Please elabotrate on this topic.

It seams as though many people are having these same issues, can someone from MSN please address this?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:37 PM

Answers

• Last time someone from MSN spoke about 301 redirects, he pointed out that Live's bot is not handling these properly and he suggested using a 302 instead. This has been over 3 months ago, I hope something has been done in the meantime but I still see issues about this matter all over the index, so most probably still not solved ...

Maybe someone from MSN can enlighten us, will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Friday, April 18, 2008 7:47 AM

All replies

• Same here and we received the following reply from "support"

Thank you for writing to Live Search Technical Support. My name is Arlene and I understand that you are having issues with the indexing of your site on Live Search. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

The Live Search team continuously updates the algorithms we use to ensure we have the highest quality content in our search results. You will notice over time that your rank, which is relative to all the content we crawl on the Internet, will change. This is natural as other sites modify their content, as new sites are created, and as you modify your content as well.

Most websites can improve their ranking, and subsequently the number of pages we index by reviewing a few best practices. Here is what we suggest:

1. Review our Website Checklist (http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster/archive/2008/01/11/i-m-not-ranking-in-live-search-what-can-i-do.aspx) to make your site as appealing as possible to search engines (and users!).

2. Enroll in our Webmaster Tools (http://webmaster.live.com/ ) to check the status of your site and ensure you're not being blocked.

3. Submit your site's URL to our URL Submission Tool (http://search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx) to ensure we know about it.

4. Check if anyone else has encountered or resolved the same issue in our Crawler & Indexing Forum (http://forums.microsoft.com/webmaster/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1984&SiteID=79 )

If you have completed all the steps above and your site is still not ranked or indexed, then it may indicate a problem with Live Search. In that case, please reply to this message with your URL and a detailed description of your issue, and we will do our best to resolve it.

Improving our search results is our number one priority, and we take your feedback seriously. However, we receive a tremendous volume of feedback and may not be able to address each one personally.

However, if the information I have provided above is not what you are referring to, please provide us the following information:

- A detailed description of the step-by-step procedures you take that lead to the problem.

- Are you having issues getting all of your pages indexed on Live Search?

- Are you having issues finding your site on the Live Search results using keyword search?

- Exact search terms used

- Search result link (example: http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=sample&form=QBRE)

We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Live Search.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 12:43 PM

• Thanks Myaht!

I have also been scowering the board here and I see many people with a similar issue and not much assistance from "Support".  The majority of responses from "Support" all seam canned and not really helpful.

Can Someone from Live Search Support please address these specific issues poeple are having?

Is it a 301 redirect issue?  Is it something more?

Thursday, April 17, 2008 12:52 PM
  • Last time someone from MSN spoke about 301 redirects, he pointed out that Live's bot is not handling these properly and he suggested using a 302 instead. This has been over 3 months ago, I hope something has been done in the meantime but I still see issues about this matter all over the index, so most probably still not solved ...

Maybe someone from MSN can enlighten us, will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Friday, April 18, 2008 7:47 AM
  • Hi,

Although our devs are working on the problem, the 301 redirect issue has not been resolved. We strongly recomend you use 302 redirects.

Thanks,

Brett

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Brett,

Thanks for the reply!

Any timeframe for Live to have this resolved? 

I just find it hard to put a temporary 302 redirect in place when my pages have indeed permamently moved, hence the 301 redirected.  From all that I have read and seen the 301 redirect is SEO friendly, is that not the case with Live?

Thanks!
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:32 PM