none
Ehm - driver installer utility RRS feed

• Question

• I have happily installed WHS on my (up until now) HTPC, to serve as the hub of the family music and pictures. But I forgot to make a backup of the drivers for Ethernet adapter (situated on the motherboard) and the Wi-fi-adapter. (A little embarassing.
    I have been able to find the manufacturer (Realtek)of the on-board adapter and download the drivers (Server 2003) on my "private" pc. But these are just the necessary files that a driver installer program would use. And the link for the installer (XP 32 is the closest) on the Realtek site is a "dud" - Java Script () Void, or words to that effect. There is a spupposedly universal installer utility (DriverInstaller_DD - PCDRivers Headquarters), but Install Shield just states this to be an incomplete program or not made for this OS. (I don't remember the exact phrasing.) "DriverMagic_Inst" should have been another solution, but it needs online search to find the latest updates, and will not be pointed to the folder with the drivers.
    Does anyone know of a installer that is accepted by WHS. My - at present - brick of a home server is four years old, and I have moved tree times in the interim... The original cds supplied with the machine are certainly somewhere in the house...  
    (Do I hear recriminations? Of course I had a backup of the machine, on a separate partition of the hard drive. But I was unable to copy it to my new designated 2 TB hard drive (found out too late that it was FAT32 formatted, after I had copied alle the music, pictures and documents).
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:05 PM

Answers

• Try this:

Start
    Control Panel
    System
    pick the hardware tab
    click on Device Manager at the top

You should be able to manually update the drivers from here.
    • Marked as answer by TroSt53 Monday, February 1, 2010 8:00 AM
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you go to Device Manager and select the network card and select Update Driver Software and point the wizard to the location of where you have saved the file what happens?

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:14 PM
  • Sorry, Al, but there is no device manager so far in my WHS. The only Adapter I can find is 1394 connection under Control Panel/Network Connections. I believe that is a Fire Wire interface that is somehow always recognised by Home Server. The New Connection Wizard just muddles along with Connect to The Internet/Connect using a broadband connection that is always on; and then says it is finished... Not so, I am afraid.  
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Try this:

Start
    Control Panel
    System
    pick the hardware tab
    click on Device Manager at the top

You should be able to manually update the drivers from here.
    • Marked as answer by TroSt53 Monday, February 1, 2010 8:00 AM
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:30 PM