Create field for use between projects/entities... RRS feed

• Question

• How can I create a field that can be used in several different projects/entities? Basically I need to create a field for whether or not someone attended a class, and I thought it might be better if I just created one field that could be used in both entities. I'm trying to avoid bloat in the database with too many fields. Would it work if I just created a field in each entity with the exact same name? As an example, it would make more sense if I had a field, lets say new_custTaxID, that I could use in several entities since each entity would need the field instead of making a field new_project1CustTaxIDnew_project2CustTaxIDnew_project3CustTaxID. Make sense?

• Edited by nasyrax Friday, June 20, 2014 1:38 PM
    Friday, June 20, 2014 1:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

What you need is a two option field (to see if attended or not). For two options you do not have global field, instead you could use the optionset field type with two options. You could create a global optionset and use it on every entity you want. However, after you created the global optionset, you have to create a field on each entity to be able to use it.

Persian Dynamics CRM Community | انجمن متخصصان فارسی زبان

Saturday, June 21, 2014 5:15 AM
  • I may have been a bit vague about my dilemma. Lets say I have 3 different entities, each one needs a field for weight. Is there a way to make a field that could be used on all 3 entities or will I need to make a weight field for each entity.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:42 PM
  • You will have to create 3 separate fields for each entity as you can not create 1 field on 1 entity to be used on different entities.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

There's no way to "re-use" a field as such between multiple entities. However, you could use Plugins to synchronize the data between the field in all 3 entities; say for example if Entity A field is updated, the Plugin goes and updates the fields in Entity B and C, and vice versa.

Admin QuikView Solution for CRM 2013

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:51 AM