Price of OEM Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Home Server right now is $99 at newegg in the US but what about us up here in Canada? $174... Its nearly double! Why are us Canadians getting screwed by the price?
    Friday, December 19, 2008 10:02 PM

Answers

• Microsoft doesn't set the retail price you're being charged, I'm afraid. You need to take that up with your retailer, or find another vendor.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, December 20, 2008 4:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by J Mackey Saturday, December 20, 2008 4:47 AM
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 12:39 AM

All replies

• Local system builders or distributors may have some older inventory that they purchased prior to the price drop that they are trying to sell prior to submitting a new order at the lower price.
    Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, December 19, 2008 10:22 PM
  • T. Headrick said:

Local system builders or distributors may have some older inventory that they purchased prior to the price drop that they are trying to sell prior to submitting a new order at the lower price.

Windows Home Server Team

It kinda sucks since my evaluation copy expired prematurely so I need to install the full, but I don't really want to have to pay $174 dollars for it when I know its sold in the Us for $99...
    Friday, December 19, 2008 11:37 PM
  • Microsoft doesn't set the retail price you're being charged, I'm afraid. You need to take that up with your retailer, or find another vendor.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, December 20, 2008 4:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by J Mackey Saturday, December 20, 2008 4:47 AM
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 12:39 AM
  • Ken Warren said:

Microsoft doesn't set the retail price you're being charged, I'm afraid. You need to take that up with your retailer, or find another vendor.

ALL the Canadian vendors sell it for more, usually above $200.
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 12:44 AM
  • I just a search on Windows Live Cashback ... not sure if PCRush.com will ship the software to Canada but they are selling it for a little more than NewEgg and say on their web site that they ship some stuff internationally ...

http://search.live.com/cashback/products/offerings/14002/8770546

Another option is to ship it to a friend's house in the USA and then have them mail it to you. 

Also, as Ken says you should print out the NewEgg page and show it to the local store or e-mail them a link and ask them if they will match the price (after currency conversion)
    Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 12:47 AM
  • T. Headrick said:

I just a search on Windows Live Cashback ... not sure if PCRush.com will ship the software to Canada but they are selling it for a little more than NewEgg and say on their web site that they ship some stuff internationally ...

http://search.live.com/cashback/products/offerings/14002/8770546

Another option is to ship it to a friend's house in the USA and then have them mail it to you. 

Also, as Ken says you should print out the NewEgg page and show it to the local store or e-mail them a link and ask them if they will match the price (after currency conversion)

Windows Home Server Team

I don't know anyone in the US who I could do that with.

An on the regard of price matching, the only store that did do price matching won't sell below their cost, which they claim to be $174 CAD.

None of my local stores sell it, I am looking only at online retailers.

Saturday, December 20, 2008 12:50 AM
  • I just bought WHS OEM yesterday for my sister in law and I paid 189.$ CAN +GST +PST= 213.$ I remember when I bought my copy of WHS, I paid 169.$ + Tx. It gets more expensive when it gets older and rare. Both versions are french. I've always paid more for french version O/S, about 5 or 10 bucks more than the english version. To save money, I buy the first one in french and buy the others in english for less. The only thing I really need is the product key.

Klode 
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 2:54 AM