none
Scheduled sychtoy task doesn't work - Exit code of 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Synchtoy 2.0 successfully backs up to my Fat32 external HD when I initiate it manually, but I can't seem to get successful backups using scheduled tasks. I consistently get an exit code of 1 (which the link below says means "Incorrect function".

How can I schedule an automatic backup using synchtoy and Scheduled Tasks that runs successfully?

PS . It's not easy figuring out that this code is an error either. Couldn't locate the info anywhere on synchtoy or MS forums. I assume the error codes listed here are relevant to Scheduled Tasks - http://www.chicagotech.net/troubleshooting/exitcode1.htm

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:18 PM

All replies

• BTW - My system is Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Did you use the SyncToycmd.exe -R [folderpairsName] to do the sync?

If not, please. As syncToy.exe is not the one to support command way to do the sync operation.

Thanks,

Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, September 3, 2010 9:50 AM
  • I used the SyncToycmd.exe, but I guess I didn't get the -R in, because I wasn't sure of the syntax. Since MS techies most likely use command lines for all of these tasks, you may be unaware of the help file and wizard options presented to the new user:

From Help file in SynchToy for "Schedule SynchToy"

• 7. The final page contains an option to open the properties dialog when the wizard ends. Select this checkbox.
    • 8. Modify the Run textbox to include the –R command line option. –R all by itself will run all folder pairs that are active for run all. If you want to run just a single folder pair, add –R “My Pair” to the end of the command line.

The RUN textbox displays this << Run: "C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.1\SyncToyCmd.exe" >>

These instructions don't say whether to place the -R inside or outside of the end quotes. whether to include a space or not, and where.

Friday, September 3, 2010 5:02 PM
  • A suggestion for this forum:

Perhaps adding a top level description on this forum of how to make Synch Toy interface with Task Scheduler for each operating system would be useful. You seem to be getting many questions about this, particularly because  most people interested in Synch Toy want it for backing up, and auto back ups in particular.

I found a couple of tutorials out there that were a lot easier to follow than the Microsoft version.
    -A tutorial with pictures: http://www.lagesse.org/using-microsoft-synctoy-2-with-freenas/ 
    -A clear list of actions: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/01/01/schedule-synctoy-to-run-and-automatically-and-repetitively/

Note that comments on the article in the last link includes questions about whether the command is -r or -R, where to put spaces etc. Evidence of confusion on these points.

Friday, September 3, 2010 5:04 PM
  • New Topic: Running as "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM"

I will start a new question on this so others can find it easier

Q: If I run a task as "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" will Synch Toy back up folder pairs from two users in the same run?

Friday, September 3, 2010 5:07 PM
  • Thanks for sharing the so details explaination for SyncToy, and also hope your problem has been resolved.

Thanks,

Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:58 AM
  • No, I'm still not able to run automatically. Can you explain whether it's possible to run the synchtoy cmd task as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM?

No answer to my other separate post.

Friday, September 24, 2010 3:03 PM