Money 2005 w\ Windows 7 neverending update RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Microsoft Money 2003 for many years. Recently, I got a new computer with Windows 7 installed on it. When I installed Microsoft Money 2003 I received this message.

"Additional Money program files are now being downloaded to your computer.

While the files are being downloaded, you can continue to use Money and other programs. You will be notified when the download process is complete."

This download never completes and some Money files are unavailable until the download completes. So, I tried upgrading to Money 2005 and the same thing happens. The accursed never-ending update of Additional Money program files that probably don't exist anymore. I currently have version 14.0.6.1105 so, I ask what to do?

Sunday, December 6, 2015 9:18 PM

All replies

• Version 14.0.6.1105 is a limited version intended for conversion of Money 99 files to be used with more recent versions of Money.   Unfortunately, it doesn't even seem to do that.  If you are in the US, I suggest that you download US Money Sunset as described in the second "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

This should be able to open your Money 2003 file.  After you have that working, it would also be a good idea to replace your mnyob99,dll file as described in the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

That patch is not currently needed when running Windows 7, but it does no harm, and it will be needed if you upgrade to Widows 10.

Let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

Sunday, December 6, 2015 10:04 PM
  • I am attempting to use the trial version of 2005 to update a Money 95 file. I am seeing the same never ending update message. I read somewhere that the servers for Money are long closed, so it will never finish. I also read that the 1105 version should be current.

For you, the Sunset edition might be the easiest solution.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20738

So, does anyone out there have a clue what we can do to fix this?

Sunday, December 6, 2015 10:08 PM
  • Your problem is different from the original poster's problem.  Money 99 is very old and need to have an intermediate conversion to get to US Money Sunset.  The 14.0.6.1105 version is still offered by Microsoft as a way to do this, but others have not had any luck using it to update a Money 99 file.  The solution is to use a different Money version that is only available on the Wayback machine.  See this post:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6b7ffb67-58df-460f-8fd3-26ba17ca1e54/money-2004-trial-download-on-waybackmachineorg?forum=money

To save you a lot time reading that lengthy thread, this is the solution:

Hi, Hopefully the following might save someone days of grief.

Never mind about Sunset, going from 99 files to Sunset or 2005 version simply did not work.  After taking off Sunset and all Money files from the computer I rebooted and the set computer clock back to a date in 2004, brought in my 99 files and then executed 2004 Trial version and in 10 minutes, not 4 days all my files were updated one at a time into 2004 and all but one were fine. The one account that did not transfer was a old Ira account that was named retirement account that was closed but I reopened it before transferring but I think the computer saw that I moved the money to a retirement Brokerage account and maybe somehow saw the account had a balance of  zero in it.

Money 2004 version only works when date is set back to 2004 year for some strange reason.

A link to the required version of Money 2004 is in this thread:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6b7ffb67-58df-460f-8fd3-26ba17ca1e54/money-2004-trial-download-on-waybackmachineorg?forum=money

This worked at least one person's Money 99, but Money 95 may be a different case.  Please let us know if this works for you.  

Bill Becker

Monday, December 7, 2015 2:46 AM
  • Thanks for the advice.

I booted an XP machine, set the clock to Dec 2004 and installed Money 2004. I opened the old mny file, it said it would create a backup, then convert. Conversion ran for a while, then Money crashed. There is an MNY file that is larger than it used to be and an MN6 file that is the size of the original.

I restarted Money 2004, opened the converted file and am looking at a white window with no toolbar. Appears to be hung.

I installed the Sunset edition and opened the converted file. It responds the same way: "Money will convert your file...." That process hangs as well. Not even a crash message.

I found a copy of Money 95 on Amazon. My old copy has disappeared. When that arrives, I'll install it on my XP computer and see if it will open the data. If it won't, I am screwed. If it will, I may well open a VirtualBox version of XP and run Money 95 there.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 1:19 AM
  • You might see if you can get a repaired version (level 2) of one of those files.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466/en-us  See "Download the M06-Repair.exe package now."

I doubt it will be able to make any sense of the original or the conversion attempt. Seems worth a try however.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 1:32 AM
  • Money Sunset eventually errored off. The system log reports Faulting module mnyob99.dll version 17.0.0.3817.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 1:40 AM
  • Money Sunset eventually errored off. The system log reports Faulting module mnyob99.dll version 17.0.0.3817.

Interesting. I wonder if the patch discussed on what is currently the first post on this form would change that behavior.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 4:14 AM
  • I got what I think is the modified DLL, but it has the same version number, 3817. Same crash message. I doubt the DLL is the issue as it was supposed to apply to 64 bit systems. I am actually working with a VM of a 32 bit Win 7.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 5:09 PM
  • The dll file doesn't have a version number.  It is a patched version of mnyob99.dll and replaces the dll that comes with the download of Us Money Sunset, version 17.0.0.3817.  The version of Money will not change when you do the replacement.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 5:20 PM
  • The original problem is that my client was running a VM of Win XP so she could use Money 95. When I set that up for her I did not know about the Sunset Edition, et al. Two weeks ago Windows 10 imposed itself on her computer, killing XP Mode. I reverted to Win 7, but the XP Mode VM and Money 95 are being ill-behaved. I put Money 2004 on an XP machine, set the date to Dec 2004 and tried to open the old data. Money makes the backup file (.MN6) the crashes out during the data conversion. Just for completeness, I purchased a copy of Money 95. That program thinks the original MNY file is corrupt. I restored a copy from the client's computer backup (about a week before the Win 10 fiasco). Money 95 is still not happy.

I feel totally stuck. Is there anyone here who has gone thru the upgrade process and still has a working copy of Money 2004/5 who would be willing to take a shot at upgrading this data? Or has another thought about how I can proceed?

Monday, December 14, 2015 11:39 PM
  • I feel totally stuck. Is there anyone here who has gone thru the upgrade process and still has a working copy of Money 2004/5 who would be willing to take a shot at upgrading this data? Or has another thought about how I can proceed?

Try searching this forum for 1c62413858e2184eb39862f1b2afba44
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 1:10 AM
  • Been there, done that. That thread references Money 99. Do you know if the 95 and 99 MNY files are the same format?
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 1:35 AM
  • Money 99 will open a Money 95 file (presuming that the programs are from the same geographical region), but not the other way around.

This post (which you have probably already seen) describes a successful conversion of a Money 99 file using a version of Money 2004 from the wayback machine:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/727458ea-2e41-486d-a303-e13f0c5db799/ms-money99-updating-to-newer-version?forum=money

I don't think that Money 2005 will work as in intermediary for getting to Sunset.  Installing Money 2005 from a disk will definitely not work because it needs an online update .

Does you client have additional backups?  It might be worthwhile to try an older backup in case there is a file corruption problem.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:46 AM typo
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 2:29 AM
  • I have that version of 2004. It saves the old file with an extension of MN6, the creates a larger file with the MNY extension. Then blows up.

The client no longer has her Money 95 CD, which is why I purchased one. The package and product key look like the ones I recall from the installation I did for her many years ago. Amazon also shows an Money 99 package that does not look like the one I recall.

Do you know which version MN6 would represent?

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 2:57 AM
  • I believe that MN6 indicates that it was a Money 98 file.  Money 99 should open that.  However, it would be nice to get converted to Money Sunset (assuming that all these are US versions.)

One long shot is to try the "official" Microsoft conversion program:

Money 2005 version 14.0.6.1105 is still available from a link is this web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108

which describes how to use that "intermediate" version to convert from Money 99 to Sunset.

However, a recent poster had no luck with this Money 2005 and he finally succeeded with the Money 2004 version that is not working for you.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:45 AM
  • FYI, I received a copy of Money 99. It opens and converts the Money 98 data file, but Money 2004 still blows up. The computer date was set to Dec 2004. I also tried Dec 2003. I wonder if the fact that I have both versions installed the same computer is leading to an incompatible DLL issue. I'll let you know if removing Money 95 and 99, then reinstalling 2004 makes a difference.
    Saturday, December 19, 2015 1:51 AM
  • No luck with any approach. Money 99 reads and converts the 98 file. BUT 2004 still blows up. Just for grins I installed Sunset edition to see if it would open the converted MNY file that 2004 left before it died. No such luck. Sunset includes a Repair file process. That processed the file and found no errors. Still no luck opening the 2004 data file. All this was done on an XP machine, so no issues with x64 Win 7.

Unless someone here has another idea, I give up.

Monday, December 21, 2015 1:30 AM
  • A really long shot, - try replacing the mnyob99.dll file in the Money Sunset installation on your XP machine.  There were reports that the patched dll was needed on XP (SP3) even though Windows 7 ran Money just fine without it.  (And if you move to Windows 10, it definitely needs the patched dll.)

Another option is to have your client could stick with Money 99.  It runs just fine.  In that case, as with Money 95, s/he needs to be very systematic about backups.  A big advantage of Sunset is that it can be set up to automatically save multiple backups.

Finally, you could do a qif export from Money 95 or 99 and then import into Sunset.  That a lot of work and quite a bit of data does not survive the process.  See, for example,

http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/28.aspx

Bill Becker

Monday, December 21, 2015 2:34 AM
  • Tried the DLL on the XP system. Same error. The client is sticking with 98 running in XP Mode. This all started when she (actually her husband) allowed Win 10 to be installed. When I reverted to Win 7, the XP Mode seemed screwed up, so I went looking for an alternative. At this point, with the Money 99 CD, I could move her to Virtual Box if that was required. I don't have to right now, as I found the XP Mode problem.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Monday, December 21, 2015 7:15 PM
  • The rollback to Win 7 from Win 10 has a number of bugs.  For example, I and a lot of others (based on my Google search of the problem) found that it corrupted the Windows Task Scheduler so it could no longer be accessed.  (Try it and see if you can)  Fortunately, I discovered this within two days of my upgrade and rollback and I was able to restore a recent image of my Win 7 setup to restore Win 7.  I was, however, in Win 10 long enough to know that Money Sunset worked OK in both Win 10 and Win 7 rollback, but I have no doubt that it is possible that the rollback messed up the ability to install 2004.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 4:30 AM