Cannot complete scheduling SyncToy RRS feed

• Question

• I've gotta think this is a universal problem but existing posts do not bear out this contention. At the point of clicking the box for opening advanced properties when attempting scheduling SyncToy, I see this or similar messages:

"The new task has been created, but may not run because the account information could not be set. The specific error is: 0x8007054b: The specified domain does not exist or could not be contacted."

I must've missed the instructions for creating an account. Otherwise... HELP!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:57 PM

Answers

• I see the issue now.  It's asking you to provide the username and password you want the task to run under so Windows knows what rights to assign it.  As this is likely a backup, you'd want to provide your local administrative rights to the Scheduled Task software, unless you want it to run specifically under a more restricted account.

d
    Monday, September 29, 2008 4:14 AM

All replies

• Hi -

This is specifically a Task  Scheduler issue - not a SyncToy. You need to use a use a valid account name and password when creating the task ( any task) - are you sure that you typed the password correctly?

Thanks

Deepa

Friday, September 26, 2008 10:54 PM
  • Thanks Deepa, for responding. But I'm so much a novice that it is not intuitive to me to know where the "valid account" would reside. If it's the Windows Live account, I can try that; if it's an account on my LAN, I'm also the Administrator, so I need to know just how to create the account. If possible, and if it's not too much trouble, would you please explain why backups using SyncToy became so complicated in going from V1.04 to V2.0? On the point about typing passwords correctly, I maintain a simple text file on my desktop with many, many userID/password sets, from which I "copy" to "paste" where required. For many other applications/web sites, I use a password manager.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 7:54 PM
  • I see the issue now.  It's asking you to provide the username and password you want the task to run under so Windows knows what rights to assign it.  As this is likely a backup, you'd want to provide your local administrative rights to the Scheduled Task software, unless you want it to run specifically under a more restricted account.

d
    Monday, September 29, 2008 4:14 AM