Import Existing Shares or Folders to WHS Share RRS feed

• Question

•  

I would like to see the ability to import a share or a folder into the WHS Console that resides on a drive that is not considered to be one of the "Storage Hard Drives".

Example: Prior to installing WHS, I had a drive that was nearly-full with data (Music) that I would like to keep. After the installation, I was told the drive would need to be reformatted to work with the WHS Console.

Consiquently, for this to work, I would need to:

1. Copy everything over to a secondary hard drive (assuming I had one big enough).

2. Reformat the drive to make it one of the "Storage Hard Drives".

3. Create a new share using the 'Shared Folders' tab in the WHS Console.

(assuming the system creates the newly created share (folder) on the drive you want)

4. Copy all of my data into the newly created shared folder.

This seems unnecessary to me. What if I wanted to dedicate this drive exclusively to storing music and still have it show up as part of the shared folders and be accessible from the Web Interface? From what I have found, its not possible. When you format a drive to be a "Storage Hard Drive", you effectively tell the system to store the data any way it wants. From my testing, I've seen that it puts all the shares along with backup data on the same drive.

By allowing the user to import a share or a directory to be shared, all previously mentioned issues would be resolved.

1. There would be no need to reformat the drive or move any data around.

2. You would be able to access the data from an existing folder from the WHS Web Interface.

3. You would have the ability to dedicate your hard drive to storing a particular type of data of your choice.

I was unable to find anyone else discussing this topic in the forums. If this is a duplicate, please let me know. In addition, I have created this as a suggestion on the feedback page of the connect.microsoft site. If you wish to vote on it, let me know and I will provide a link.

Thank You,

Justin Bobrowski

Thursday, April 26, 2007 1:44 PM

Answers

• There have been a number of discussions of this, Justin. And there are already some suggestions on Connect, e.g. this one.

The basic answer, as far as I can tell, is that WHS is intended to simplify management of the hardware that's connected to it. Since it's normally going to be deployed in the home as a headless server appliance and used by technically unsophisticated individuals, it expects full control of the hardware attached. The end user has no control of what goes where.

I don't expect this to be addressed at all in V1. It's possible that there will be changes in this area for future versions, but the expectation in general is probably that WHS is new, will be on new hardware, and will have new hardware attached to it.

In the meantime, there's an easier workaround, for a technically savvy user: you hook the drive up to WHS, and log in using remote desktop. Create (or use the pre-existing) shares using the console, then copy the files off the external drive using Explorer and the network shares. This assumes there's room on WHS for the files.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:27 PM

All replies

• There have been a number of discussions of this, Justin. And there are already some suggestions on Connect, e.g. this one.

The basic answer, as far as I can tell, is that WHS is intended to simplify management of the hardware that's connected to it. Since it's normally going to be deployed in the home as a headless server appliance and used by technically unsophisticated individuals, it expects full control of the hardware attached. The end user has no control of what goes where.

I don't expect this to be addressed at all in V1. It's possible that there will be changes in this area for future versions, but the expectation in general is probably that WHS is new, will be on new hardware, and will have new hardware attached to it.

In the meantime, there's an easier workaround, for a technically savvy user: you hook the drive up to WHS, and log in using remote desktop. Create (or use the pre-existing) shares using the console, then copy the files off the external drive using Explorer and the network shares. This assumes there's room on WHS for the files.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:27 PM
  • Thanks a lot! I apologize for the redundant post.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:41 PM