Problem with AD User groups in Contact Lists RRS feed

• Question

• I have run into a problem when using AD groups in your contact list.  If you drag the group from the search box into your contact list, all the name for that group show up, which is correct.  Problem is if you are having a IM or conference with 2 people and you hit 'invite' to add another, none of the names from the group you dragged from the search box are displayed.  From the invite window you can search for them, but they don't display like they would if it was a group you created.  Any ideas why they do not show? 
    Monday, September 29, 2008 1:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can still drag and drop the group into the IM conversation and that will invite all members of the group

But you have to do it from the main contact or search window in communicator

Monday, September 29, 2008 10:21 PM
  • Why can't you expand a AD group to invite one of them into a IM or conference?  If I create the group within the contact list, all contacts are display so that anyine of them could be added.  The AD group does not act this way.

The main reason this is a problem is that we deploy Communicator using a script which looks at users that are in a AD created group.   So if the user is in the group, he/she gets the software. So this group by default is the complete list of OCS users.  So the plan was to have this group available to be dragged into user's contact list so they would have a complete list of all available users they could communicate with.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:10 PM
  • FYI...
    I have done some more testing with this problem and found out some additional information which I hope will help in resolving the issue.
    When you drag a AD group from the search box into the contact list, it creates the group and displays the contacts in the group.  It also created some files in \%username%\Local Settings\Microsoft\Communicator\sip_username@domain.com
    These file are .DAT file and start with dgc_
    Is it possible that the Communicator can not read these files?  Maybe that's way the names are not display when you try a invite someone from these AD groups?
    Where do the group that you create in Communicator get stored?
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 2:08 PM
  • If you want to do something like that then you need to script it

You can use a script that is provided in the resource Kit tools

LCSAddContacts.wsf

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b9bf4f71-fb0b-4de9-962f-c56b70a8aecd&DisplayLang=en

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:05 PM