none
WHS Backup is not working any more... need realy good help... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Folks..

I have some big troubles with WHS.. until now i was soooo happy to have it. Its realy great.. i save with WHS more ten 8 PCs from 3 different locations. (Over WAN Connections.. very slow.. but with WHS realy no problem! It Works.. some time it takes more then one day until the Backup completes because of the slow connection but the Save is perfect and working.. just like feedback or knowledge for other peoples who want to use WHS for this..)

MY PROBLEM:

Yesterday i finished a good Backup once more like in the last 4 months.. next day i looked at whs and see that Backupservice is not running anymore.. i try to start whs console on the server.. it comes with message that backupservice is not running.. and then starts. I cant do nothing without the backupservice running.. i cant delete PC's (Savefile) and so on.. good i looked at internet.. many peoples write to restore backups and so on.. i have backup of the computerbackups.. so i tryed many things:

- Restore Backup
    - Delete all Backups with Toolkit(reset.. dont work get error:failed to reset DB Win32Exception)
    - ok i deleted all Backups in the Folder folders and DE\folders (i have just a one disk install no duplication so i dont have a fs folder in C)
    - Restart Server many times..
    - chkdsk on D:

But nothing works.. the error messages in Eventviewer you will see here.. i think they dont mean that the backupfile is not good or false.. but they are substantly like windows dont find drive or files for start whs backup.. :-(

1 *********************************************************************
    Unerwarteter Fehler 0x80070015 in IQSMFolder::get_Path: Das Gerät ist nicht bereit.
    2 *********************************************************************
    Fehler des Clientsicherungsservers bei d:\wssg_src\whs_pp\qhs\src\backup\server\service\qsminterface.cpp(80)

Often i hear "Install just Homeserver new.." But i have the problem.. that my homeserver is also used as IPS Server and has many other good programms installed on it. To reconfigure a new server it will take me more than 2 - 3 day work. Special is, that i dont use WHS for File sharing and so on.. just for backups! I nothing changed.. the system else is working perfect!I see all drives.. all of them are good! Like system c: and like d: i can browse.. i see all files.. i have no problems.. so why dont work hms..

If one of you have just some good ideas.. i would be happy.. :-))
    Friday, December 5, 2008 1:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    maybe you should run chdsk against all your disks on the server, as outlined here (and not only on D:). What was the result of chkdsk, btw? How many disks does your server have?

Since you seem to run a German language system, this site may also be interesting for you to find some help in your natural language.

Your statement, that your server has many other good programs installed (which are not supported on Windows Home Server) points into another direction, since every program, which is not aware about Windows Home Server specifics and uses storage belonging to Windows Home Server storage pool, may break Windows Home Server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, December 5, 2008 8:01 PM

All replies

• Oh yes i wanted to add.. IN WHS Konsole under serverspeicher (Serverstorage) i see that WHS says:
    System C
    Capacity xy (The right Size)
    path unknown
    State missing

But how i say.. whs server starts up and it his own disk.. i see all drives C: and D: on the same system and so on..
    Friday, December 5, 2008 1:26 PM
  • Hi,
    maybe you should run chdsk against all your disks on the server, as outlined here (and not only on D:). What was the result of chkdsk, btw? How many disks does your server have?

Since you seem to run a German language system, this site may also be interesting for you to find some help in your natural language.

Your statement, that your server has many other good programs installed (which are not supported on Windows Home Server) points into another direction, since every program, which is not aware about Windows Home Server specifics and uses storage belonging to Windows Home Server storage pool, may break Windows Home Server.

Olaf
    Friday, December 5, 2008 8:01 PM
  • Hello Olaf thanks for reply..:

chkdsk /x /r
    for /d %%1 in (C:\fs\*) do start chkdsk /x /r %%1

The seconde one is for me not important.. because i have no duplication activated.. so i dont have c:\fs\

To scan also drive c: yes i didnt until now.. because i manage that system remote.. if i do also for c i need to restart and have no control over the pc anymore.. to do this i need to be there directly.. i hope on christmas i wil have the option to try this.. but i think its small chance.. checkdisk on D dindt found no error, no fileproblems.. everything was i.o.!

I understand that whs and other applications can make problems.. but i didnt install last 2 month no new programm and i dont used it last months and everything was working fine.. 2 days ago the problems started with whs backup service.. and i dont know why.. if other aplications make trouble it starts when you install them or use special functions of them.. but that i didnt..

Thanks for german site..i try to post the issue also there.. but when i look here i think the "best profis" are here.. if they cant help me i realy need to reinstall.. and i think it look so.. because i didnt get no more reponse.. :-(

But anyway thanks for help and if you have some other ideas.. i checked last days registry.. found many good things for whs that are in the registry.. but until now.. my service still dont work.

Monday, December 8, 2008 9:49 AM
  • Hi,
    you didn't install new applications recently, but maybe, Windows Update changed the software on your server, so that has now compatibility issues with one of your applications.
    Olaf
    Monday, December 8, 2008 10:43 AM
  • swissboy22 said:

chkdsk /x /r
    for /d %%1 in (C:\fs\*) do start chkdsk /x /r %%1

The seconde one is for me not important.. because i have no duplication activated.. so i dont have c:\fs\

You don't need to reboot the system to run chkdsk on C  if you run it in read only mode (so no /f /r parameters). Example:

chkdsk C: >c:\chkdsk.txt will run chkdsk on c and log to file c:\chkdsk.txt. If chkdsk finds errors on the sys volume you may choose not to fix them, however please note that running the server in this state could result in even more problems.

Your basic problem could be hardware issue, or some problem in WHS part of registry. In many cases reboot will fix the second issue.

It could also be that editing one or two lines in the registry, or applying the latest backup of the WHS part of the registry will fix your issue. I have no access to a WHS box at the moment, so can't provide detailes guidance right now.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 2:08 PM
  • Hello Brubber

First thanks a lot for help...  first i started chkdsk on C: in read mode only --> Results: 0 Error, 0 Problems everything ok..  a seconde time i also started on D: --> Results: 0 Error, 0 Problems

Its realy strange.. WHS else is working fine, i see all online PC's but no Backup and the service dont start. To be sure that you understand me, i restarted the server many times since this issue.. (Like 3-4 times) I have and see just WHS Error Messages, no other Systemerrors. I just didnt restart the server with chkdsk because i know that the server starts and often need some input like "enter" or else and i couldnt do it remote so that was the problem but else i restarted many times.The only two errors i get:

Fehler des Clientsicherungsservers bei d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\backup\server\service\qsminterface.cpp(80)

Weitere Informationen über die Hilfe- und Supportdienste erhalten Sie unter http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unerwarteter Fehler 0x80070015 in IQSMFolder::get_Path: Das Gerät ist nicht bereit.

Weitere Informationen über die Hilfe- und Supportdienste erhalten Sie unter http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Always just this two messages! :-( Nothing else!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 10:33 AM
  • Please check if the folders D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} and D:\DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} are present.

If these folders are there a number of values in the registry should be checked. Since this is rather difficult to explain you can mail the appropriate registry keys if you want, and then I will have a look at it.

1. Open regedit (Start, Run, type regedit, hit enter)
    2. Browse to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server
    3. Right click this Key, choose export, save as text file
    4. Send to my hotmail address xxxxxx
    5. Also please send the file whs.reg from the folder D:\folders\{378AE094-F4CA-4D9B-BDA5-649D6F738276}

Also please have check which WHS services are running:

Start, Run type services.msc, hit Enter. Have a look at all services starting with Windows Home Server. Please let me know which of these services are NOT Started. Also please check the status of services which have Startup type Automatic and are NOT Started.
    • Edited by brubberModerator Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:44 AM mask e-mail to avoid spam
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 2:25 PM
  • Hello Brubber

I hope you can help me.. i have send you all Data you was asking for.. i also checked.. both folders exists.. and have the same sice...

The errormessage i have/get sounds more like my whs doesnt recognize my entire disk with C: and D: for backup/restore.. but for everything else it seems to work.
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Für alle...

Leider konnte mir mit dem Problem niemand helfen. Aktuell habe ich dann per Zufall selbst die Lösung gefunden! Folgendes:

Das Problem entstand weil ich WHS in Verbindung mit einem Raid nutzte. Einfach gesagt das Laufwerk C und D von WHS System lagen auf einer Festplatte, welche durch ein Hardware Raid auf eine weitere Platte gespiegelt wurden. Das Problem entstand, nachdem das Raid einmal unterbrochen wurde ich eine der Festplatten wechselte. Der Grund ist einfach, ich wollte eine FEstplatte mit einer aktuellen Version als Save haben und die neue Festplatte wieder als Sicherheit mit dem System bespielen lassen. Beim wechseln aber der Platte ist es so, dass der IntelRaid Adapter dem Raidverbund eine neue Laufwerksid vergibt. Dies kann man nicht steuern und es ist so tief im System, dass WHS leider die Platte dann nicht mehr erkennt.. auch wenn sonst alles vollumfänglich läuft und da ist.

Schlussfolgerung:

RAID in Verbindung mit dem Systemlaufwerk von WHS klappt wirklich nicht!!!!!!!!! Auf Anhieb zuerst ja.. aber sobald das erstemal eine Platte gewechselt wird oder das Raid neu aufgebaut werden muss ist Schluss mit WHS!

Meine Lösung:

Um das System doch sofort wieder zum laufen zu bringen gibt es eine Lösung welche ich per Zufall fand! Einfach das Raid (Bei mir Mirroring achtung bei RAid 5 dürfte das nicht klappen) unterbrechen, die Raidspezifischen Daten von der Platte durch das Biosraid entfernen lassen, eine der HD nehmen und booten. Siehe da, der Intelraidtreiber gibt der Festplatte keine neue ID mehr, WHS läuft wieder EINWANDFREI! Einfach ohne RAid sondern auf einer normalen SATA Festplatte. Für die Sicherung von WHS und dem gesamten System habe ich mich nach anderen Lösungen umgeschaut.

Denke das könnte so manch jemandem Helfen!!!

Gruss

Lukas aus der Schweiz
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 10:15 AM
  • Hi Lukas,
    thanks for reporting back.

For the English readers of the forum a short version:
    The Windows Home Server was build based on a RAID 1 array. After swapping one of the disks the drive ID assigned by the RAID controller to the logical drive no longer did match, this caused the issues.
    The final solution was, to remove the RAID configuration in the Bios, take only one of the disks and boot in normal SATA mode.

(This example shows again, that RAID on WHS for the system drive may work fine, unless something changes.)
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:28 PM
  • Was there any resolution to this, this sounds very similar to the problem I am having, I am recieving this same error in event viewer and my backup service will not start.

Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\backup\server\service\qsminterface.cpp(80)

Event ID 267

and

Assertion failure at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\storage\qsm\qsm.cxx(18621): pVolRunner->vdf.nDisks > 0

Event ID 129
    Friday, March 6, 2009 5:34 AM
  • brubber said:

Please check if the folders D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} and D:\DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} are present.

If these folders are there a number of values in the registry should be checked. Since this is rather difficult to explain you can mail the appropriate registry keys if you want, and then I will have a look at it.

1. Open regedit (Start, Run, type regedit, hit enter)
    2. Browse to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server
    3. Right click this Key, choose export, save as text file
    4. Send to my hotmail address xxxxxx
    5. Also please send the file whs.reg from the folder D:\folders\{378AE094-F4CA-4D9B-BDA5-649D6F738276}

Also please have check which WHS services are running:

Start, Run type services.msc, hit Enter. Have a look at all services starting with Windows Home Server. Please let me know which of these services are NOT Started. Also please check the status of services which have Startup type Automatic and are NOT Started.

Brubber, I am having this same issue, I have both of these files. My backup service is set to automatic and it is current not running. Anyway I can get your help on this issue if you get a chance?
    Friday, March 6, 2009 6:22 AM
  •   Hello Chellis

Brubber helped a lot, but didnt find any solution for that problem :-( Also he couldnt, because my problem was using whs on a hardware raid mirror. I had i my computer a raid hw mirror with two disks, installed whs with partition C and D. I was thinking, that i get a good copy of whs in this solution, i install whs.. let it run.. shut it down some times, take out one drive of the mirror, replace it with another one.. restart, rebuild.. wonderful i have a backup of my whole system on the spare drive in my hands.. :-) But WHS dont want this in that way.. if you have the same installation (Raid.. not important if mirror or raid 5 or else) you will have now the same problem like i had. I have write a solution that i founded by myself. But just in German.. so i try to write it now in English.. but sorry my english is not realy good..

The solution helps you just in the case, that you have used the raid for a mirror.. not for a raid 5 else.. i am not sure if the issue would be the same on software raids.. especally not if it is mirror software inside Windows.. perhaps too.. but with a hw controler you will get this problems and if you had a mirror you can try this solution.. but your seconde error like Assertion failure.. hmm i didnt see this in my event log when i remembering.. its sounds more like a not clean or damaged database..

WHS has many options and settings in the registry.. also a "link" too this two storages.. C and D.. this link was in my case absolutly in a right state.. point to the right device.. i cheked this too with brubber and we was wondering why my whs still dont recognize the whole whs system. The point is.. that the failure is more deep in the system.. my HW Raid controller gives a unique id to the mirror when i created it and installed windows.. everything works wonderful. After i rebooted my system to change one of the hd and start up to rebuild again.. my hw controller (it was i think an intel) gives that Mirror a new unique id when he started to rebuild the mirror. For him its like a new hd at the end.. i have seen this also in my event log... (Something like intel hw gives new id to device..) yeeesss.. cool windows for himself understand this.. changed the pointer inside deep of the system to the new unicque id of the device.. but whs didnt.. the pointer inside the registry of whs still point to the same location.. its the right location but somewhere else inside windows its the false unique id and so whs dont find the system.. i was sad because it was for me clear why WHS DONT support RAID.. i didnt believe and tryed... yes.. it ends up like this..

But in my case i had luck! After long trying with brubber and we didnt find a solution.. i did this: (But who i say it works only with mirror.. and i am not sure if it works always!!)

After the rebuilde.. i started many many times.. always with this error.. and the system didnt run whs anymore.. Ok i shutdown windows.. i taked out the new hd that i changed before.. that deactivates also my hw raid controller! (Be sure some HW controller still left the hd in raid state and say the raid system is not running any more and so on.. in my case the controller convert the one left hd to a normal hd back that it is no raid anymore) After that i restarted my system again.. wow everything was working.. fine and perfect like before.. i was very happy.. now i backup whs in another way.. and dont activate raid anymore..

At the end i must say it was a solution for me.. its not a solution for everyone.. if you know what you are doing.. you can try or perhaps it will help you.. i found many good ideas here in this forum and on other site.. so i was thinking one time i can also give something back and post all this.. like in german now in english too. ALSO IMPORTANT is that you know.. if you have read the thread exactly that i used WHS just for backing up Devices.. from many WAN Sites.. i didnt used it for things like Mediasharing.. there comes up some other problemes like thumbstones and so on.. but i think also for this.. my solution can help.. because it converts just the hd back into a normal state.. all files and information on the hd do not change..

Greetings

Lukas
    Friday, March 6, 2009 7:33 AM