Permissions to shares\photos directory change when I reboot my whs RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if this has been asked before but I have set up the internet guest account to have have access to my shares\photos folder. This allows me to ru the open source photo viewer called SCRY. However when I reboot the permission is lost and I have to add this in again.

Is there a way around this?

Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:42 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server controls permissions for all shares, so no. Perhaps you could take a look at the add-in Whiist instead, which includes a way to set up a sinple photo album.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 12, 2010 1:57 AM
  • Windows Home Server controls permissions for all shares, so no. Perhaps you could take a look at the add-in Whiist instead, which includes a way to set up a sinple photo album.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

I do use Whisst but there must be some way to allow any folder on a share to have this. I did this somehow and then rebuilt my server and lost it

If a create a new folder on the share would that be possible?

Monday, April 12, 2010 2:12 AM
  • How are you setting the permissions?  You must do it through the Windows Home Server Console, Shared Folders Tab.
    --
    Monday, April 12, 2010 10:12 AM
  • How are you setting the permissions?  You must do it through the Windows Home Server Console, Shared Folders Tab.
    --

I did for the guest account but does this relate to the internet guest account?
    Monday, April 12, 2010 2:40 PM
  • The guest account is the 'internet' guest account.  However, any changes made to the permissions must be done in the console - any changes done outside of the console will be reset by Windows Home Server.

--
    Monday, April 12, 2010 2:43 PM
  • The guest account is the 'internet' guest account.  However, any changes made to the permissions must be done in the console - any changes done outside of the console will be reset by Windows Home Server.

--

But I did givethat account full permissions on my photos folder but it still seems to get rest
    Monday, April 12, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Is this a folder you have created outside of the Windows Home Server Console?
    --
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:23 PM
  • Is this a folder you have created outside of the Windows Home Server Console?
    --

No it is a subfolder of photos

I have a folder called photos\pictures.

Would it work they way I want to if I did it outside the WHS console?

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:58 PM
  • You can only assign permissions with the Home Server Console (not remote desktop) to a Share - not folders within a share.  It will not work if you do it outside of the console.
    --
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 7:50 PM