Need to restore one email to OE6 (plus, OC only finds old backup!) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

1. I need to restore just one single email from my backup. I use OE6. I tried the following, but it didn't work:

File | Import | Messages | MS Outlook Express 6 | Import mail from an OE6 Identity

At this point, the only option to select is "Main Identity." If I select this, it tells me that my messages are in a location on the C: drive but my backup is on another drive.

a) How do I access the backed up emails and find the one in question?

b) For the title of the email, I know the title of the email message; would I just add dot dbx to this?

2. The message I need is on the penultimate backup. When I try to restore via OC, it only offers two options: the most recent backup dated Feb 24th and a backup from December 2007. The email I need was backed up on Feb 17. How do I find the Feb 17 backup files?

Thanks.

Grace

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:21 PM

Answers

• H, Grace.

I'm going to refer you to support for help as I don't know if there is a way to locate the specific incremental backup through the OneCare interface. OE6 also stored all mail in dbx files - inbox.dbx, etc.

You may be able to manually extract the .dbx files from the .zip files dated the 17th, though this may be painful. Then, you'll need to get at the contents of those files, which is not the same as importing - being that it isn't an intact mail store. You may be able to temporarily copy your current .dbx files to an alternate location, copy the old ones into the profile folder, open OE, save the specific message as an .eml file, and then replace the .dbx files again with the current ones - finally, dragging the saved .eml folder to OE after it has reopened.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:10 AM