WinXP Pro I purchased has "Not For Retail or OEM Distribution", What should I do??? RRS feed

• Question

• I just received Win XP Pro I purchased from internet. To my surprise, the CD has the text "Not For Retail or OEM Distribution" and "Unlicensed Software-Illegal without separate license from Microsoft". It has Product Key though (is that the license??).
    However, there is no text "Not For Resale".

I don't know if this WinXP is legal or not, or if I should return it. What should I do?

Should this be illegal, how do I report this to microsoft if the seller won't refund my money? Will microsoft  replace it with a legal copy or will I simply lose my money?

Thanks.

Monday, December 18, 2006 9:46 AM

Answers

• Alvin H,

Please return the software to the seller as soon as possible to increase your chances of getting a refund.  You probably received some kind of Volume Licensing media which as noted is only media--no license comes with the CDs.

It is almost a certainty that what you received will run afoul of WGA immediately upon installation.

Genuine Microsoft software is a rare commodity indeed at online auction sites.  Best to purchase from respected reputable online retailers or local certified or registered Microsoft partners.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 5:59 AM

All replies

• Monday, December 18, 2006 2:32 PM
  • Alvin H,

Please return the software to the seller as soon as possible to increase your chances of getting a refund.  You probably received some kind of Volume Licensing media which as noted is only media--no license comes with the CDs.

It is almost a certainty that what you received will run afoul of WGA immediately upon installation.

Genuine Microsoft software is a rare commodity indeed at online auction sites.  Best to purchase from respected reputable online retailers or local certified or registered Microsoft partners.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 5:59 AM