Suggestions on UI for server backup and offsite disks RRS feed

• Question

• Learning to use the new server backup facility has been very confusing, and I think a few simple changes to the user interface would be helpful for first-time users:

- When a new external disk is plugged in, the only option offered is "Add". To me, that meant add it to the storage pool, so I didn't do it, thinking there must be some other way to designate it as the backup drive. The choice (I now know) isn't offered until after the user commits to the Add button. It would be much clearer if there were two choices on that first menu: Add to the Storage Pool, and Add as a Server Backup Drive.

- Similarly, when I want to unplug the drive to take it off-site, I now know that I have to choose Remove, and then I get the chance to say it's just temporary. Again, offering the choices at the top level would be much clearer.

- Finally, I think it would make sense to show Server Backup as a line item on the Computers & Backup tab at all times, not only after a drive has been set up. The Status could show something like Backup Drive Not Defined until there is one.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:13 PM

All replies

• These are great suggestions.  It is too late to change the user interface for Power Pack 1, but it would be great if you filed them up on the Connect site as 3 individual suggestions to that others in the community can vote and rate them.  The home server team reviews the top rated suggestions on an ongoing basis to determine what to add to the product in the future.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:26 PM