Restore problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore backup file from external hard drive to Windows 7 pc.  Restore tool does not recognize hard drive.  I copied Windows Live Backup file to pc hard drive and added network address to that file Restore did not recognize it.  Help support says it is no longer working.  Please can you help?
    Friday, January 14, 2011 6:04 PM

Answers

• How was the backup originally made? Was it a network location, a Centralized backup, or a local backup made with OneCare from the PC to a USB drive?

What did you copy to the PC? Do you mean that you intalled the Windows Live OneCare Restore Tool?

If the backup is located on the external hard drive, there should be no need to copy it locally and no need to turn it into a network Share. The Restore Tool must be installed and it is looking for the path for OneCare backups. If you simply copied the backup file, it is unlikely that the restore tool will recognize it.

There may also be issues if the backup was performed to a network Share and you are now connecting to the location locally.

In any event, you have an additional option. You can use a program such as WinZip to open the backup .zip files and manually extract the files from these .zip files. They will not open from Windows natively, but many 3rd party tools will open them, WinZip included. Once unzipped or extracted, large files that may have been split by the backup process will need to be rejoined before they are useful. If a large file has been split into 3 chunks, rename the parts to have the extensions of .000, .001, .002, etc. and use this free utility to rejoin the parts. 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

I am awaiting a response from Microsoft regarding possible Support options for users of te OneCare Restore Tool. You could try contacting support for Microsoft Security Essentials, but I believe that they will not be able to assist at this time. They can help with removal problems and infections, but I'm doubtful about the restore tool. 

To open an email support case, start here:

https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, January 14, 2011 6:31 PM

All replies

• How was the backup originally made? Was it a network location, a Centralized backup, or a local backup made with OneCare from the PC to a USB drive?

What did you copy to the PC? Do you mean that you intalled the Windows Live OneCare Restore Tool?

If the backup is located on the external hard drive, there should be no need to copy it locally and no need to turn it into a network Share. The Restore Tool must be installed and it is looking for the path for OneCare backups. If you simply copied the backup file, it is unlikely that the restore tool will recognize it.

There may also be issues if the backup was performed to a network Share and you are now connecting to the location locally.

In any event, you have an additional option. You can use a program such as WinZip to open the backup .zip files and manually extract the files from these .zip files. They will not open from Windows natively, but many 3rd party tools will open them, WinZip included. Once unzipped or extracted, large files that may have been split by the backup process will need to be rejoined before they are useful. If a large file has been split into 3 chunks, rename the parts to have the extensions of .000, .001, .002, etc. and use this free utility to rejoin the parts. 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

I am awaiting a response from Microsoft regarding possible Support options for users of te OneCare Restore Tool. You could try contacting support for Microsoft Security Essentials, but I believe that they will not be able to assist at this time. They can help with removal problems and infections, but I'm doubtful about the restore tool. 

To open an email support case, start here:

https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, January 14, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

The backup was made with OneCare from previous pc to external drive.  

Restore Tool is on new computer.  Restore tool does not recognize external drive.  The only other option was to put in a network address so copied the backup file to local machine but you are right - that does not work.

There are 746 zip files in one care.  Do I really need to open each one individually?  

Friday, January 14, 2011 7:34 PM
  • You should not need to, if we can figure out why the Restore Tool is not seeing the backup on the external drive.

When you run the restore tool (forgive me, I've not run it since the day it was first available, but I know it to be a subset of OneCare itself), what actually happens?

If the original backup was to the drive connected via USB, restoring from the drive should work fine. I assume that you can see the drive in Windows Explorer when connected, yes?

The suggestion to manually extract the contents of the zip files was to work around the issue - you data isn't lost at this point, just hard to get at.

Is the situation that you have a new computer and figured that you could eaily restore data from the OneCare backup made on the old PC before the subscription expired? Do you still have the old computer?

-steve

Friday, January 14, 2011 7:51 PM
  • I should mention that these forums are dead quiet since OneCare support ended late last year. I check in daily, but I don't often get a chance to visit on weekends. I know that the tedious solution will work to get your data -- it may even be quicker than trying to troubleshoot the problem. My contact information can be found via my profile. You can poke me and I may have a chance to respond more quickly, if needed.

-steve

Friday, January 14, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Yes - I can see the external drive in internet explorer.

When you open the restore tool it opens a window asking where is the file you want to restore.  You have 2 choices:

Restore files from a local backup

Restore photos from online photo backup.

I select Restore files from a local backup and it opens a window saying:

The following backup devices are connected to your computer.  Select the device contain the backup you want to restore.  The only device is recognizes is CD/DVD.  There are 2 buttons: refresh list of add network location.  Otherwise the only choice is back, next or cancel.

I need the files for a court case that I need to give evidence at the end of the month.  I do not have the computer that these files were made on.

Again, thanks for your help

Friday, January 14, 2011 8:19 PM
  • Okay. I'm hitting the road shortly and I'll try to check back this evening. The time consuming solution is still an option.

What you describe is indeed the OneCare backup/restore dialog, trimmed to only show restore. When OneCare failed to find a backup, we suggested to create a new one first, then run the restore. Obviously, that's not an option here.

Does the OneCare backup exist on that external drive exactly as it existed when it was the backup drive? Have you moved or changed permissions on the folders and files in the Windows Live OneCare backup folder?

Do you have another PC that you might try installing the restore tool on and connecting the drive to?

-steve

Friday, January 14, 2011 9:00 PM