Motherboard Failure Recovery RRS feed

• Question

• I just lost a motherboard based on the Intel P35 chipset. The PC was running Vista 64. The hard drive I assume is fine, so the OS install is there.

I am replacing the board with a P45 chipset board, so it's similar but not identical driver wise.

I really do not want to reinstall Vista and do all the configuration work this close to 7 RTM, so I'm trying to decide how I want to go here. I've never replaced a non-identical motherboard, but have found instructions for doing so at places like arstechnica and even MS...but only for XP and generally assuming you have access to the install prior to removing the old board so that you can remove unneeded drivers ahead of time.

Would I be better off to use the WHS backup, loading the new drivers during the restore process to get me in than just trying to boot to the drive as is?

My other thought is that installing the 7 RC (7100) over my old Vista install might work just as well.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I do have to say having the backup out there makes this less stressful that I will lose stuff. I can always just restart the process if I screw something up.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:51 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server isn't capable of supporting a hardware migration, except in the special case of all critical hardware using the same drivers. Loading drivers during the restore is only to allow the Restore CD to see required devices (disks and wired network). It doesn't replace any drivers in the backup.

You can try restoring and see what happens. If it won't boot, then doing a repair installation of the operating system would be a logical next step. You may still have problems afterward, though. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Andy Sexton Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:00 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:28 PM
  • There is no repair installation with Vista, and the startup repair doesn't handle these specific issues well.
    But play around with the settings of the SATA controller in Bios. If it was IDE before, set it to IDE compatibility mode.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:08 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server isn't capable of supporting a hardware migration, except in the special case of all critical hardware using the same drivers. Loading drivers during the restore is only to allow the Restore CD to see required devices (disks and wired network). It doesn't replace any drivers in the backup.

You can try restoring and see what happens. If it won't boot, then doing a repair installation of the operating system would be a logical next step. You may still have problems afterward, though. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:28 PM
  • There is no repair installation with Vista, and the startup repair doesn't handle these specific issues well.
    But play around with the settings of the SATA controller in Bios. If it was IDE before, set it to IDE compatibility mode.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Thanks guys.  Went ahead and just installed Win 7 RC.  Guess I'll just go through all this again in a couple of months when I get the retail version.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:00 PM