can I use my coa on another windows xp pro disc? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a broken Toshiba Portege 3500 and I replaced the harddrive then set up linux now I finally got the discs but the outdated cd from toshiba requires a usb floppy drive (like I'll ever use that again). Is there any way I can just use my fully legit COA from the bottom of my computer so I can boot into windows xp without having to buy a crappy floppy drive that will just collect dust after the install?

it is a windows xp pro tablet COA with Toshiba logo printed on it.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 9:29 PM

Answers

• The COA key will work with a system builder (OEM) disk, not a retail disk. If you have an OEM disk you can use the key on the label to install then, most likley activate by phone. If you do not have an (OEM) disk but you have the original computer, with the COA, the media to prove ownership a shop can install windows using the COA key and then you can activate by phone.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:34 PM
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Q.  "will my coa from windows xp tablet work with a windows xp pro oem disc?"

A.  No. 

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 4:17 PM

All replies

• The COA key will work with a system builder (OEM) disk, not a retail disk. If you have an OEM disk you can use the key on the label to install then, most likley activate by phone. If you do not have an (OEM) disk but you have the original computer, with the COA, the media to prove ownership a shop can install windows using the COA key and then you can activate by phone.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:58 PM
  • will my coa from windows xp tablet work with a windows xp pro oem disc? I know that xp tablet is just xp pro with special pen touch handwriting recognition so I was wondering.
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 12:11 PM
  • Q.  "will my coa from windows xp tablet work with a windows xp pro oem disc?"

A.  No. 

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 4:17 PM