HALP! How Can I Browse Files From WHS Server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Home Server with some files I need to get off there.  The files were on a laptop previously backed up to the WHS but which is no longer around.  I start up the WHS concole on the server but cannot see into the backups for this laptop.  I get a message that says I need to run the console from a home computer.  I go to another laptop still around but cannot see the server.

Isn't there some way to browse the files within a backup when the original home computer is gone?

Thanks!
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 10:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    while you have not deleted the laptop from the server, the files should still be in.
    They are only accessible from another client PC by starting the console from the connector in the system tray.
    If you cannot access the server from the other machine that way you may have a name resolution problem (If this is the case post the output of ipconfig /all entered in a command prompt on the client and the server.)
    Does that machine have the Connector software installed and is regulary backed up on your home server?

You also can attach the disk of the failed laptop (or another empty disk in at least the same size) to the failed or another PC and try to restore the backed up volume to that disk using the most current WHS Client Restore CD.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 10:52 PM