Unresponsive console RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS console is brutally slow and unresponsive....

I can click onto shared folders and access files in seconds but when I need to go in through the console for back ups, restoration and to add addins it takes me several tries and 20 minutes to get anywhere I have to wait several minutes between each command...that is when it lets me in. Sometimes it says the server is not connected even though it is....sometimes the icon is black yet i can get in through shared folders.
    This is extremely frustrating. WHS console has never been lightening fast but this is ridiculous.
    I have tried resetting the console but it doesn't really seem to have any effect...the console seems to have a mind of its own.

Saturday, February 27, 2010 2:49 PM

All replies

• Have you recently installed anything? Add-ins? Software installed via the server desktop? Uninstalled anything?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:58 PM
  • I recently added a 1.5T hard drive into the second slot as an addition to the 500 Gb original everything went well and it worked fine after that.

From time to time WHS console has been slow and cranky about whether it was on line or off line and required rebooting or for me to reboot my PC but I have not added any add ins or other programs.

Ironically this started about 10 days after when I was going out of town and wanted to back up my desktop before I left...it just would not come on line and when it did I couldn't get the back up button to activate....

Then this week when I got back I did get it to work by restarting the console and restarting WHS from the console once I got it active...it worked and I thought it had cleared itself...now we;re back where we started and even more ironically I want to install firefly...and of course I can't!!

The drives are nowhere near full BTW
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:03 PM
  • I recently added a 1.5T hard drive into the second slot as an addition to the 500 Gb original everything went well and it worked fine after that.

From time to time WHS console has been slow and cranky about whether it was on line or off line and required rebooting or for me to reboot my PC but I have not added any add ins or other programs.

Ironically this started about 10 days after when I was going out of town and wanted to back up my desktop before I left...it just would not come on line and when it did I couldn't get the back up button to activate....

Then this week when I got back I did get it to work by restarting the console and restarting WHS from the console once I got it active...it worked and I thought it had cleared itself...now we;re back where we started and even more ironically I want to install firefly...and of course I can't!!

Perhaps your primary hard drive (or, more specifically, the OS partition) is having issues.  You might try running chkdsk /r on it...
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 2:01 AM

Perhaps your primary hard drive (or, more specifically, the OS partition) is having issues.  You might try running chkdsk /r on it...
    Huh? What's chkdsk /rand how can I do that if I can't get to first base with the console?
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 3:27 PM
  • Huh? What's chkdsk /rand how can I do that if I can't get to first base with the console?
    Chkdsk /r looks at and (hopefully) repairs any bad blocks/sectors on your hard drive.  You need to logon to the server desktop in order to run it.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Er, this is Windows HOME server right? While I'm a pretty advanced user, I'm still a HOME user.
    If MS can't engineer some kind of simple response.....well, come one now, this is why Apple is eating your lunch.

Okay, it was only 2% market share, now it's 5% or 8% and growing and this is why.

I have no idea what you are talking about!!!!!! What is that? Gobbledygook?

How do I log on to a a command window in my server? No idea. I have enough trouble doing it with my XP machine. And don't give me the ____ of "well, maybe you'd better get someone who is qualified to maintain your system"

This is supposed to be a consumer facing option. It is not and we all know it.

As it turns out, for the information of the brains trust here, drilling into the forums provides the answer PVConnect is duff! Removing it makes everthing better. Not the hard drives, not the system. not the check drive which actually operates automatically right (Duh!!!!) but the stooooopid add in which doesn't work and screws everything up.

Sheesh. And you wonder why everyone HATES MS and why we don't trust you. Nothing works like its supposed to and there's always a bug. WHS has been one of my biggest disappointments and continues to be....all promise and no go.

Good night Irene.

Monday, March 1, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Er, this is Windows HOME server right? While I'm a pretty advanced user, I'm still a HOME user.
    If MS can't engineer some kind of simple response.....well, come one now, this is why Apple is eating your lunch.

Okay, it was only 2% market share, now it's 5% or 8% and growing and this is why.

I have no idea what you are talking about!!!!!! What is that? Gobbledygook?

How do I log on to a a command window in my server? No idea. I have enough trouble doing it with my XP machine. And don't give me the ____ of "well, maybe you'd better get someone who is qualified to maintain your system"

This is supposed to be a consumer facing option. It is not and we all know it.

As it turns out, for the information of the brains trust here, drilling into the forums provides the answer PVConnect is duff! Removing it makes everthing better. Not the hard drives, not the system. not the check drive which actually operates automatically right (Duh!!!!) but the stooooopid add in which doesn't work and screws everything up.

Sheesh. And you wonder why everyone HATES MS and why we don't trust you. Nothing works like its supposed to and there's always a bug. WHS has been one of my biggest disappointments and continues to be....all promise and no go.

Good night Irene.

A) I do not work for MS (nor do any of the other MVPs) so kindly keep your attitude in check (we are, after all, trying to help you).  B)  If you purchased a pre-built server from HP, Acer, etc., it's their responsibilty to assist you with problems like this and you should be contacting them.  If you purchased an OEM license and built your own server, you are your own support and it's assumed you have a fairly good technical knowledge of OS functions/hardware in the first place.

Now as to your question:  Open up the application called Remote Desktop Connection from your XP client (probably under Programs > Accessories, if not, open a Run box and type mstsc).  Type in the name of your server for Computer.  When the logon screen comes up type Administrator for User Name and your server password for password.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 5:53 PM