Length of time for virus scan ridiculous RRS feed

• Question

• My onecare virus scan has been running continuously for 24 hours!!! It is still only 90% complete. Why is this taking so long?

Am using HP laptop with Windows XP have an internal hard drive, external hard drive, and thumb drive plugged in.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:27 PM

Answers

• That certainly is not normal unless those external drives are huge.
    You can exclude the external drives from being scanned. A scan of a USB device is going to really take a long time, though I think 24 hours is a bit excessive. I'd expect that only if the external drive was very large (over 500 gigs) and mostly full, especially if the files on the external drive were compressed, installer files or image files.

Before contacting support, you may want to remove (or exclude in settings) the thumb drive and external drive and start the scan again (cancel this one, and reboot) after confirming that no other security software providing real time protection is installed on the PC.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:01 PM