Problem with WHS and Subsonic Music Streaming Application RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having trouble figuring out if this is a WHS problem or a problem with the 3rd party software.  I built my own WHS, and had Subsonic up and running for 1 month with no problems. I was able to use the same URL to listen at home and at work.

I haven't made any configuration changes since then, but I'm now unable to access Subsonic from outside my house.

If I go to http://xxxxx.homeserver.com:8080 from inside my network or outside my network, the connection times out and nothing loads.

If I go to http://xxxxx:8080 from inside my network, I get the proper login screen

If I go to http://xxxxx.homeserver.com from inside or outside my network, I get proper access to the Windows Home Server website. So if this works, why can't I access the Subsonic login screen?

There is no firewall running on the Windows Home Server. I'm not sure what troubleshooting steps to take next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Mike
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:09 PM

Answers

• Make sure that you've forwarded port 8080 from your router to your server, and make sure your server has a static IP address, or a DHCP reservation for a specific IP address. If you're using normal DHCP to allocate your server's IP address dynamically, it may have changed...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Mike Benner Friday, January 15, 2010 4:48 AM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 1:36 AM

All replies

• Make sure that you've forwarded port 8080 from your router to your server, and make sure your server has a static IP address, or a DHCP reservation for a specific IP address. If you're using normal DHCP to allocate your server's IP address dynamically, it may have changed...
    • Marked as answer by Mike Benner Friday, January 15, 2010 4:48 AM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 1:36 AM

Thanks for the help!  Someone the port forwarding rule on my router got changed (it was using the wrong IP address).  Changed this setting, and it is now working.  Thanks again!
    Friday, January 15, 2010 4:48 AM
  •  Thanks for the help!  Someone the port forwarding rule on my router got changed (it was using the wrong IP address).  Changed this setting, and it is now working.  Thanks again!
    If your server is configured to obtain it's IP address using DHCP, the IP address may change from time to time. That's the most likely reason for port forwarding to be using the wrong IP address.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:09 PM