Can having hundreds/thousands of different files that all use the maximum filename lengths cause any issues? RRS feed

• Question

• Can having hundreds/thousands of different files that all use the maximum filename lengths cause any issues? ie trying to locate them? trying to open, backups etc. What problesm have been known to be caused by having too many files all with the max filename length???
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:34 PM

Answers

• In my experience, long file names, or more specifically long paths can cause issues when trying to locate or access files.

If I recall correctly, I came across such an issue in a case where a file was created through a network share that pointed to a specific subfolder. While the file was perfectly accessible through that particular network share, it was not accessible through a network share that pointed to a higher folder in the hierarchy as this made the path to the file longer.

You may also want to check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247.aspx

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:59 AM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please specify the issue you are experience in WHS 2011?

Towards the maximum filename length, it might cause any issue, especially the high directory and hierarchy. It could cause the performance issue it multiple file requests from the clients.

I think you should clarify your symptom so that you could focus on one specific issue.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:52 AM

All replies

• Are you having problems which you believe to be related to long file names?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:02 PM
  • In my experience, long file names, or more specifically long paths can cause issues when trying to locate or access files.

If I recall correctly, I came across such an issue in a case where a file was created through a network share that pointed to a specific subfolder. While the file was perfectly accessible through that particular network share, it was not accessible through a network share that pointed to a higher folder in the hierarchy as this made the path to the file longer.

You may also want to check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247.aspx

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please specify the issue you are experience in WHS 2011?

Towards the maximum filename length, it might cause any issue, especially the high directory and hierarchy. It could cause the performance issue it multiple file requests from the clients.

I think you should clarify your symptom so that you could focus on one specific issue.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:52 AM