Creating a new deployment administrator RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking to migrate from our 32 bit CRM 4.0 to a 64 bit CRM 2011 install.  All of the documentation seems to be simple enough, with the exception of one step.  I must go into Deployment Manager on the existing CRM Server and stop deployment.  To use Deployment Manager, you must be a Deployment Administrator.  Our initial CRM build was a couple years ago, and we have since renamed our domain, so the user that set up CRM doesn't exist, as the domain no longer exists.  Is there anyway to add another Deployment Administrator without the Deployment Manager?  Also, is there any way of verifying which Active Directory Account is used for the current Deployment Administrator, incase we are just missing something and using the wrong credentials?

Thanks, 

Jesse

Monday, June 6, 2011 2:29 PM

Answers

• You can see who is deployment administrator by running this query:

select SystemUser.Name,* from SystemUserRoles JOIN SecurityRole ON SystemUserRoles.SecurityRoleId = SecurityRole.ID JOIN SystemUser ON SystemUser.Id = SystemUserRoles.SystemUserId
    WHERE SecurityRole.Name = 'Administrator'

However, to make somone else a deployment administrator you need to use Deployment Manager. If you lost the account you will probably need to export and re-import the organization. The user who re-imports the organization will become the deployment administrator.

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

Monday, June 6, 2011 2:57 PM

All replies

• You can see who is deployment administrator by running this query:

select SystemUser.Name,* from SystemUserRoles JOIN SecurityRole ON SystemUserRoles.SecurityRoleId = SecurityRole.ID JOIN SystemUser ON SystemUser.Id = SystemUserRoles.SystemUserId
    WHERE SecurityRole.Name = 'Administrator'

However, to make somone else a deployment administrator you need to use Deployment Manager. If you lost the account you will probably need to export and re-import the organization. The user who re-imports the organization will become the deployment administrator.

Monday, June 6, 2011 2:57 PM
  • If I insert the disk and do a repair of CRM, would that make me the deployment administrator, or does that only work with export/import?
    Monday, June 6, 2011 3:13 PM
  • I don't think it will. Repair functionality is more about the assemblies and services than the data itself. You can give it a try to be sure though.

Monday, June 6, 2011 3:38 PM
  • Thanks for the help.  Using your above query, we confirmed that our issue was the domain name change.  There were three Deployment Administrators, but all were from the old domain.  We were able to update one of the accounts within SQL to the new domain logon and were able to get into Deployment Manager.

Thanks,

Jesse 

• Marked as answer by jnewbold Monday, June 6, 2011 4:34 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by jnewbold Monday, June 6, 2011 4:34 PM
    Monday, June 6, 2011 4:34 PM