How About Pano from 4K Video? RRS feed

• Question

• Very excited by the new features in ICE 2.0!

Can anyone clear up it's ability to support 4K video files for pano-from-video please?

Seen some reports of cameraphone 4k videos working, but so far I havent been able to load either 4K sources I use:

From Panasonic LX100, 4K at 100Mbps MP4 - Doesn't work.

From Sony Xperia Z3 phone, 4K at 50Mbps XAVC-S - Doesn't work. :(

In both cases I simply get a message "Cannot open video file", when selecting a 4K file.

It would be great benefit from all those pixels!

Any idea when high bit-rate 4K might be supported?

Monday, February 9, 2015 4:15 PM

All replies

• What version of Windows are you on?

Does Windows Media Player (WMP) play the video? ICE calls into WMP to load videos and I know that some versions of Windows are more capable than others for 4K video.

Monday, February 9, 2015 6:12 PM
  • Everytime I try to load GoPro 4k video into ICE it says cannot open video.  Is this codec not supported, I have quicktime player installed and GoPro Studio installed as well.  Thoughts?

Steve

• Merged by Matt Uyttendaele Monday, February 9, 2015 10:44 PM same issue
    • Proposed as answer by surose Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:09 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by surose Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:09 AM
    Monday, February 9, 2015 10:36 PM
  • Clearly it would be ideal if ICE supported the codecs being used in these video files.

As a work around in the meantime, however, you can use various tools to export the frames of a video to an image sequence and then use the images (or a subset of them) in ICE, etc.

Fair warning: Video takes up a lot of disk space once decompressed to images and 4K will eat your storage space faster than other videos.

VirtualDub:
    (You'll definitely want to add support for opening more video formats with the VD plugins found here and here.)

Quicktime Pro
    (The 'Pro' license costs $30 and there are a lot of video formats that QuickTime doesn't open, but for simple things like MP4s it's nice and easy.
    You can also find a license online by searching the web for Dawn M Fredette and entering it in QuickTime's Preferences.)

FFMPEG:
    (Lots of power here, but it's a command line tool, so you'll have to learn how to control the utility by typing if you want to use it.)

And I do very much recommend using a subset of the output frames as input for ICE.

I'm the sort of guy who wants to use every single frame of video to utilize every single pixel, but in my experience this can lead to multiple days of computing with no end in sight or a locked machine, so cutting back to 1 out of every 10 frames or so is probably a safer starting point.

I prefer to export every frame of video as an image so that I can choose any of them and then use File Explorer/Windows Explorer/My Computer to arrange the files into a set number of columns in Thumbnail view or rows in List view and then select one of the columns or rows for stitching.

If you find disk space to be an issue then you can change the frame rate of the exported video sequence to only output 3 frames per second (or whatever frame rate works for you).

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:54 PM
  • It wouldn't work with an mp4 from my Panasonic LX7 either.  
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 9:19 PM
  • I guess the height of the video is cap at 1080. Anything beyond is "Can't open video"
    Sunday, March 19, 2017 2:56 PM