Once the 1st backup is finished, how quick are the following backups? RRS feed

• Question

• I just received my WHS software for Xmas and installed it on a new box I built. I got it up and running yesterday and backed up both my wife's and my computers. I love it. Install went very smoothly and I can access it from either machine. Seems exactly what I had hoped for in terms of a backup plan.

Quick question and I apologize if it has been answered before, but by backup alone took about 18 hours (about 700 gigs of stuff I backed up). If say I changed 1 file out of my 4 volumes that I backup, does WHS scan all the volumes and just update the 1 file, or does it backup everything just like it did the first time and take many hours to complete?

Thanks.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Welcome and good luck with the WHS.
    After the first backup, all further ones only backup any changes:
    In general, subsequent backups usually only take a few minutes. For example, this laptop which is used every day for numerous clients' info, takes around 6 minutes a time to back up and that's over a wireless connection. Another e-mail type computer, wired, usually only takes around 3 minutes a time to back up.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Welcome and good luck with the WHS.
    After the first backup, all further ones only backup any changes:
    In general, subsequent backups usually only take a few minutes. For example, this laptop which is used every day for numerous clients' info, takes around 6 minutes a time to back up and that's over a wireless connection. Another e-mail type computer, wired, usually only takes around 3 minutes a time to back up.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Awesome!  Thanks for the help. That is what I was hoping for.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 8:07 PM