Sitemap Indexed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I've submitted a site via the webmaster tools. For some reason though the sitemap has been indexed as an actual page. Is this normal? I'm using the robots to reference the sitemap as well. So far there are only two "pages" that have been indexed. Only one shows up during a search which is the sitemap. The other is the index.html page, but I can not search and find it, i must use "site:www.katiespix.com" to find it. This is the only way it will find the html page that has been indexed.

Any info would be helpful.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 3:22 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the delay. The base issue is your rank. Increasing your rank will increase the importance of your site (in our eyes) and will make us want to crawl your site more often. Right now the best and easiest way to increase your rank (won't be much, but it will help) is by canonicalizing your site. Depending on what type of web server you are running, you can find code to alter how your server responds to certain queries. My assumption is that you are using an Apache server and may have access to the .htaccess file.

take a look at a few of these results: http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=301+canonicalization&form=QBRE

Cheers!

Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Monday, April 27, 2009 4:46 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 4:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Xtreme,

the "site" search is a unique type of search that will show all pages including those that are being redirected. It is likely that if you used a normal keyword search, the sitemap (and other redirected pages) would not show up (unless one of the keywords was sitemap). 

Brett
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:39 PM
  • When i have searched for the keywords that i have listed (meta keywords) nothing shows up within Live search. The only time I can get something to pull is if i type in "katiespix". Then it pulls only the sitemap and nothing else even though the web tools has both the sitemap and "http://www.katiespix.com" listed as indexed.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:55 PM
  • I'll take a closer look at this and get back to you. You are currently ranking very low and your site is not canonicalized. I suggest reading the FAQs located at the top of the crawling and ranking forums as well as some of the optimazation posts on our blog located at http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster or just run a search on canonicalization.

Cheers!

Brett
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:26 PM
  • I read up on the canonical and it is a little bit confusing to me. I am a newbie when it comes to some web design. But I did add a canonical meta tag to the pages. I don't know if that is what you were referring to or not.My site may rank low because of the content, there just isn't much there. I do want to thank you for looking into the sitemap issue. Along with that, none of the other pages have been indexed as of yet.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Brett-

Just wondering if you've had the chance to look into the above issue. Nothing on Live search has changed although other reputable search engines have managed to index my site more than 5 times since then. I thought I had done everything needed, robots meta tags, robots.txt file and the sitemap file. Even after resubmitting the sitemap file it still hasn't been updated and the site hasn't been index thoroughly (only one page). Is there something else i could be doing differently or that I have done incorrectly?

Thanks
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:04 AM
  • I'll take a closer look at this and get back to you. You are currently ranking very low and your site is not canonicalized. I suggest reading the FAQs located at the top of the crawling and ranking forums as well as some of the optimazation posts on our blog located at http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster or just run a search on canonicalization.

Cheers!

Brett
    MSN still has the single page listed with the sitemap. Also as spoken before. None of the other pages have been indexed. The last time the bot visited the site was the 16th. prior to that was the 6th of March. Google has since then crawled and indexed this site just about twice every week.
    I have resubmitted the sitemap and I check daily to see if there have been any changes to what MSN has indexed. What more could be done in order for the site to be indexed at a faster rate OR just to be indexed? Plus, the question still remains, why was the sitemap indexed?
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Sorry for the delay. The base issue is your rank. Increasing your rank will increase the importance of your site (in our eyes) and will make us want to crawl your site more often. Right now the best and easiest way to increase your rank (won't be much, but it will help) is by canonicalizing your site. Depending on what type of web server you are running, you can find code to alter how your server responds to certain queries. My assumption is that you are using an Apache server and may have access to the .htaccess file.

take a look at a few of these results: http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=301+canonicalization&form=QBRE

Cheers!

• Marked as answer by Brett Yount Monday, April 27, 2009 4:46 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 4:46 PM