After deleting files from media streaming share they still show up in the web access.

Question

• I have deleted some files from my ServerFolders directory and rebuilt the index database and the files are still showing up in the streaming website.  Since the files are no longer there WHS gives an error saying it can't find it or it is the wrong type.  Where do I manually rebuild the database.  By the way I have rebooted and it has been over 24 hours and this is RTM build 7601
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:22 AM

All replies

• It can take some time before the indexer notices the changes.

Rebuilding/rebooting should have taken care of that, but in your case it apparently did not?
    Try remoting to the desktop and start Media Player from there. Check if the library still shows the files. If so you could try to delete them from there?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:10 PM
  • I had the same problem, some files in the library was "stuck" and would not go away alter they were deleted.

Stop the "windows media player network sharing service"

Rename the "currentdatabase_" file in C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

Start the "windows media player network sharing service"

Restart your server

All is good again :)

Saturday, April 16, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Stop the "windows media player network sharing service"

Rename the "currentdatabase_" file in C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

Start the "windows media player network sharing service"

Had issues (as others do) with files & directories not being updated on my DLNA clients. I did as prescribed above except I have not rebooted. The database file began to rebuild itself before restarting the computer. I am just letting it run now to see what happens.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:57 AM
  • I stopped the service but when I tried to rename the file it said it was in use by the Windows media Player. What's up with that??
    Friday, May 06, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Hi, Magikman.

1)Please try server reboot.
    2)After reboot, turn off media streaming from server dashboard.
    3)Stop the  "windows media player network sharing service"
    4)
    5)Start the "windows media player network sharing service"
    6)Turn on media streaming from server dashboard.Immediately, the database file is recreated.

Friday, May 06, 2011 11:47 PM
  • Why should a user fiddle with this "under the hood"?

Is there something broken in the way the media streaming operates?

This is happening to me now; a folder that's been available for about a week now, does not show up (in this case a Xbox360) in the listing.
    If I use the WHS Dashboard and open the Videos folder from there, the folder and its contents are all there.

Will try the tips available and report back.

WHS 2011 RTM coming alive, taking over WHS v.1 duties.

Saturday, May 07, 2011 5:19 AM
  • Masahiko,

That process worked perfectly. I think the difference was "2)After reboot, turn off media streaming from server dashboard." I wonder if there is a way to create a batch file in Power Shell to make the process easier?

Also I noticed that on the Xbox 360 I see "Vailserver: Home Server" and "Vailserver:Administrator". My movies only show up when I select  "Vailserver:Administrator". Is that a permissions issue?

Thanks for the help!!

Saturday, May 07, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Masahiko,

That process worked perfectly. I think the difference was "2)After reboot, turn off media streaming from server dashboard." I wonder if there is a way to create a batch file in Power Shell to make the process easier?

Also I noticed that on the Xbox 360 I see "Vailserver: Home Server" and "Vailserver:Administrator". My movies only show up when I select  "Vailserver:Administrator". Is that a permissions issue?

Thanks for the help!!

On the 360, I can watch movies through the "Home Server"-account, haven't tried the Administrator-account.

WHS 2011 RTM coming alive, taking over WHS v.1 duties.
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Hi, Magikman.

Sorry to late.

I have no idea to enable/disable media streaming by .bat file or powershell scripts. 

Also I noticed that on the Xbox 360 I see "Vailserver: Home Server" and "Vailserver:Administrator". My movies only show up when I select "Vailserver:Administrator". Is that a permissions issue?

Did you change settings on media streaming of Windows Media Player or control panel in WHS2011 ? Please try these steps.

1)  Start>Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center>Advanced sharing settings

2)  Click "Chose media streaming options..." in Media streaming section. 

3)  Select "All networks" in Show devices

4) Click "Block All"

5) Click [OK] button.

I'm Japanese, so bear with my poor English.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Round of applause for this man, seriously. The "turn off media streaming from server dashboard" point was the difference maker. After that the database did indeed rebuild itself.

I wish I could shake your hand.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 9:41 PM
  • I'm so glad to hear it :)
    Monday, May 16, 2011 3:01 PM