About displaying external data in CRM UI RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I did quick read on SDK documents but still have no clue about how I can displaying external data in the CRM UI. For example, I an am in Account page and the value in account name field links to our accounting system so I want to display some credit info or sales order list under this account. When I enter into Form Edit page, seems I can add my own stuff but I can't find a way to add something like a gridview which connects to my external DB like MS SQL and based on the exist field value in CRM page. I need a general idea to tell me how to implement this. I am just a few days old of MS CRM since this week. Any comments or suggestion are all welcome.

Thanks,

Lan

ZL @ Hypertec

Thursday, June 4, 2015 11:13 PM

Answers

• Web resources are your best bet. Dynamics CRM does not allow connecting to external database directly from UI using its own UI controls.

What you can do is use some JQuery based tables and put it in an HTML web resource. You can then place this HTML web resource on CRM form. Also, when you place this web resource on the form, you can elect to get record id and other relevant data to be passed to your web resource so that you can use them to formulate your database query or business logic.

• Marked as answer by Zhang Lan Monday, June 8, 2015 10:40 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2015 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can show any external data in a Web-resource. Simple make a web page with your data-grid and place this page in a web-resource.

For example:

Red square is web-resource, witch  using external data. When you enter data in a fields, it makes query to a base and show possible names of entities.

Friday, June 5, 2015 8:03 AM
  • Web resources are your best bet. Dynamics CRM does not allow connecting to external database directly from UI using its own UI controls.

What you can do is use some JQuery based tables and put it in an HTML web resource. You can then place this HTML web resource on CRM form. Also, when you place this web resource on the form, you can elect to get record id and other relevant data to be passed to your web resource so that you can use them to formulate your database query or business logic.

• Marked as answer by Zhang Lan Monday, June 8, 2015 10:40 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2015 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I realized that as well.  I am working on that part right now.

Thank you!

Lan

ZL @ Hypertec

Monday, June 8, 2015 10:40 PM