End of Life RRS feed

• Question

• I do understand that Windows Live On Care will no longer be available but why did you turn my Icon red a month before it's experation date? Everything is up-to-date. I have had enough E-mails telling me it is ending. I plan on getting a new virus protection sometime in June. Why turn me red now?
    Friday, May 21, 2010 7:24 PM

Answers

• As I recall this has always been the way OneCare reacted 30 days previous to expiration in hopes of making those who procrastinate deal with the issue before the the actual protection lapsed.  Since the only option now is to acquire a different security application, it seems to make even more sense, since this will be even more of an issue for many.

The other reason is that though you received the email messages, there's no way that Microsoft can actually know this, so they have to assume you may be unaware.  This is common since many have switched their personal email account without remembering the important link to Windows Live and thus OneCare.

I've never seen this warning myself since I switched to the free Microsoft Security Essentials well before expiration in mid-April.  However, if you also require backup and/or other features and are running on Windows XP, you have far more to deal with than I did, since anti-malware was all I really needed on most of my systems.

Rob

Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:55 AM

All replies

• As I recall this has always been the way OneCare reacted 30 days previous to expiration in hopes of making those who procrastinate deal with the issue before the the actual protection lapsed.  Since the only option now is to acquire a different security application, it seems to make even more sense, since this will be even more of an issue for many.

The other reason is that though you received the email messages, there's no way that Microsoft can actually know this, so they have to assume you may be unaware.  This is common since many have switched their personal email account without remembering the important link to Windows Live and thus OneCare.

I've never seen this warning myself since I switched to the free Microsoft Security Essentials well before expiration in mid-April.  However, if you also require backup and/or other features and are running on Windows XP, you have far more to deal with than I did, since anti-malware was all I really needed on most of my systems.

Rob

Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:55 AM
  • On 2010-05-21 3:24 PM, Richard Sweeney wrote:
    > I do understand that Windows Live On Care will no longer be available
    > but why did you turn my Icon red a month before it's experation date?
    > Everything is up-to-date. I have had enough E-mails telling me it is
    > ending. I plan on getting a new virus protection sometime in June. Why
    > turn me red now?

I also found this distressing. Since I cannot distinguish between this
    notification of my subscription lapsing, and a genuine problem, I
    uninstalled OneCare on my daughters machine.

Bill Sanderson
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 8:31 PM
  • I also found this distressing. Since I cannot distinguish between this

Bill Sanderson

Hi Bill,

With the potential issues I mentioned above and the tendancy for some to procrastinate, do you really think it would have been better for Microsoft to have changed the way this has operated since OneCare initially released?

I totally understand that the red icon is annoying, but I personally believe it may be the only way to give some the push they need to make the necessary change, especially those who may not have received any other advance warning.  This is especially true since many will probably simply replace OneCare with the free Microsoft Security Essentials anyway, so for most there's really no reason to wait until the last minute.

The critical issue here is to not leave those with an expired OneCare subscription feeling they have any protection as have many other expiring third-party security applications in the past.  That's exactly why I planned my own migration of family and friends systems months ago and only waited for the upgrade release in March where update issues due to stand-by might have caused real problems.

Rob

Sunday, May 23, 2010 4:52 AM
  • No, I can't really fault the way this worked.  I'd rather have been able to have it run on, say, yellow, for a bit longer, but years of experience with seeing expired antivirus apps on most machines I get called to work on leaves me in complete agreement with your thinking.
    So--I was personally "distressed"--but on reflection, I agree--this was the right way to handle it.

"Rob Koch" wrote in message news:a28c7ac7-8d7d-4f82-826e-33041ac7fe83...
    I also found this distressing. Since I cannot distinguish between this

Bill Sanderson

Hi Bill,

With the potential issues I mentioned above and the tendancy for some to procrastinate, do you really think it would have been better for Microsoft to have changed the way this has operated since OneCare initially released?

I totally understand that the red icon is annoying, but I personally believe it may be the only way to give some the push they need to make the necessary change, especially those who may not have received any other advance warning.  This is especially true since many will probably simply replace OneCare with the free Microsoft Security Essentials anyway, so for most there's really no reason to wait until the last minute.

The critical issue here is to not leave those with an expired OneCare subscription feeling they have any protection as have many other expiring third-party security applications in the past.  That's exactly why I planned my own migration of family and friends systems months ago and only waited for the upgrade release in March where update issues due to stand-by might have caused real problems.

Rob

Bill Sanderson
    Monday, May 24, 2010 3:01 AM
  • Hi, Bill.

The red warning a full 30 days prior to expiration has always annoyed me about OneCare. My final subscription is currently in the same state. Fortunately, it is on 2 test machines that I do not have to look at all day long. :-)

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, May 24, 2010 1:20 PM