Frustrated - Just failed 70-640 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been studying for two months. Reading the MS press and exam cram books, and using various testing engines and so forth. I went and took the test today and most of the questions were nothing I have gone over. Apparently the test content was updated to R2 and Win7, but I can't find that info anywhere. Even the main MS cert site still shows the test objectives being the older ones. 

So there does not appear to be much out there to study with - so I am not sure how I am expected to pass. Are the other exams in the Server Admin and Enterprise Server Admin cert lines the same way?

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:00 PM

Answers

• Dear inabag,

I want to tell you that questions asked in test are based on real world experiences and case scenarios. I personally and lots of fellow test aspirants and certified professionals believe that Microsoft Press Training Kit is a good resource for test preparation and follow it. Although some of us have seen and experienced that it lacks some sort of information sparingly, but overall it's a good one.

I agree with your point that changes are made in skills measured and updated to R2 and Windows Client 7, but I would like to inform you that Microsoft Press has published the second edition of the training kit, and it's tailored to R2 and Windows Client 7. You can buy this book from O'Reilly Media: http://oreilly.com/catalog/0790145314413/

In addition to Training Kit other Microsoft Online Resources are also available to prepare. You can get information about these resources from Preparation Materials tab: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-640#tab3

I'd also encourage you to see the Learning Plan for Exam 70-640 which is accessible from Preparation Materials tab.

You can also read Active Directory Resource Kit for Windows Server 2008 book which provides an in-depth resource for Active Directory Configuration.

Exam Tips:

• Use your score report to identify objectives where your score is lower and more study is needed.
    • Read Exam Tips, Real World Experiences and Notes available in Training Kit.
    • Take the practice test in study mode and access detailed explanations and reference material listings for review.

Always remember that failure is not permanent.

Towards Your success,

Shyam Singh

Freelance Trainer, Technical Writer
    • Proposed as answer by Khwaja Mohiddin Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:28 AM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:41 AM
  • How much experience with the products have you had? 1yr, 2yr or did you just read some books?
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:29 AM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Do not be frustrated,

these exams are more hands on oriented! Myself I failed exam 70-515 but I found that more you have hands on experience on the topic more you get better score, it happened to me.

We learn from our mistakes. Go ahead you are on reach of your certification.

Regards

Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:57 AM
  • inabag - I think you answered your own question.  The study materials you used didn't contain the needed R2 information.  We won't belabor that issue since it's been beaten to death on these forums already.  That said, the thing to do would be to wait for the 2nd edition of the MS Press book to be released.
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Another point, is maybe you would learn better through a different medium, such as videos, audiobooks or software. How did you do on the testing engines before you went in? You might consider trying a different way of learning to see if that helps you more. Personally, I prefer videos, there are a lot of good resources out there check out www.certguard.com for good trainnig providers and www.knowledgebuster.com for free practice exams and probably technologycerts for affordable training videos. Good luck, don't give up!
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:00 PM

All replies

• Dear inabag,

I want to tell you that questions asked in test are based on real world experiences and case scenarios. I personally and lots of fellow test aspirants and certified professionals believe that Microsoft Press Training Kit is a good resource for test preparation and follow it. Although some of us have seen and experienced that it lacks some sort of information sparingly, but overall it's a good one.

I agree with your point that changes are made in skills measured and updated to R2 and Windows Client 7, but I would like to inform you that Microsoft Press has published the second edition of the training kit, and it's tailored to R2 and Windows Client 7. You can buy this book from O'Reilly Media: http://oreilly.com/catalog/0790145314413/

In addition to Training Kit other Microsoft Online Resources are also available to prepare. You can get information about these resources from Preparation Materials tab: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-640#tab3

I'd also encourage you to see the Learning Plan for Exam 70-640 which is accessible from Preparation Materials tab.

You can also read Active Directory Resource Kit for Windows Server 2008 book which provides an in-depth resource for Active Directory Configuration.

Exam Tips:

• Use your score report to identify objectives where your score is lower and more study is needed.
    • Read Exam Tips, Real World Experiences and Notes available in Training Kit.
    • Take the practice test in study mode and access detailed explanations and reference material listings for review.

Always remember that failure is not permanent.

Towards Your success,

Shyam Singh

Freelance Trainer, Technical Writer
    • Proposed as answer by Khwaja Mohiddin Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:28 AM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:41 AM
  • How much experience with the products have you had? 1yr, 2yr or did you just read some books?
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Do not be frustrated,

these exams are more hands on oriented! Myself I failed exam 70-515 but I found that more you have hands on experience on the topic more you get better score, it happened to me.

We learn from our mistakes. Go ahead you are on reach of your certification.

Regards

Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:57 AM
  • inabag - I think you answered your own question.  The study materials you used didn't contain the needed R2 information.  We won't belabor that issue since it's been beaten to death on these forums already.  That said, the thing to do would be to wait for the 2nd edition of the MS Press book to be released.
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Another point, is maybe you would learn better through a different medium, such as videos, audiobooks or software. How did you do on the testing engines before you went in? You might consider trying a different way of learning to see if that helps you more. Personally, I prefer videos, there are a lot of good resources out there check out www.certguard.com for good trainnig providers and www.knowledgebuster.com for free practice exams and probably technologycerts for affordable training videos. Good luck, don't give up!
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:00 PM