Replace motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• If I want to replace motherboard in my WHS with a different type, can I still use my original software licence?
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 12:00 PM

Answers

• Strictly speaking, no. The EULA ties the software to a particular set of hardware on activation, so replacing your motherboard with anything other than an exact duplicate, or a "manufacturer recommended replacement" is going to be a technical violation of the EULA.

That said, yes you can do so. You will obviously have to go through product activation again, probably using phone activation. But you shouldn't have any problem as long as you tell them that this is a motherbaord replacement and there is only one copy of the software running.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 4:37 PM

All replies

• Yes.  I have done this myself.  You most likely will have to phone Microsoft and tell them about replacing the motherboard.  Over the years I have done this many times regarding XP in general.  I would just advise to call early in the morning.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 4:00 PM
  • Strictly speaking, no. The EULA ties the software to a particular set of hardware on activation, so replacing your motherboard with anything other than an exact duplicate, or a "manufacturer recommended replacement" is going to be a technical violation of the EULA.

That said, yes you can do so. You will obviously have to go through product activation again, probably using phone activation. But you shouldn't have any problem as long as you tell them that this is a motherbaord replacement and there is only one copy of the software running.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Thanks for that advice
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 2:13 AM