none
Anyone using a laptop yet?? RRS feed

• Question

• Sadly enough, this is the best hardware I have sitting around that is not in use....
    Friday, March 2, 2007 5:41 PM

All replies

• I was going to until I read in the release docs it's not supported.

I have a Dell 8200 with 200 Gb of hard drive that I thought might be ideal for testing with ...

Friday, March 2, 2007 6:41 PM
  • I will try this on my laptop too, as it is the most powerful hardware i have laying around.
    (specs: amd athlon 3700+, 1024 mb ram, 100gb hdd and mobility radeon 9700)

But i that doesn't work i will try it on my test server, but i need to find a way to cram 512mb ram into there, as it only has to memory slots, and i only have one stick of 256mb. And after what i understand, setup will fail if you have less than 512mb ram. Well, i guess i will find a solution to that too...
    (spec on test server: 1,4Ghz celeron s370, 256+128mb ram, random graphics card, and 40Gb hdd)
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:17 AM
  • Though it may work, it probably won't work all that well.

The main work being performed by WHS is I/O work.  In order for WHS to function optimally, you want semi-fast disks (at least 7200 RPM).  If you have a 5400 RPM laptop drive and a USB external drive (though not required, you really need more than 1 hard drive if you're truly going to test WHS), you could find that using features such as file duplication and media sharing may result in your machine running VERY poorly.  But again, you can probably install and make it all work.  It just depends on what you want to get out of your testing experience.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:49 AM
  •  Rod Gallagher wrote:
    Sadly enough, this is the best hardware I have sitting around that is not in use....

I thought of doing this with one of my laptops when I first applied for WHS beta.  Hell, I even thought of using my hardly used almost new iMac for this before going out and buying a decent pc.  But, ultimately decided against both.  After seeing how intense disk operations can be sometimes, I can't imagine a laptop server lasting too long.  If you are intent on doing it anyway, I would suggest popping out the laptop hd and memory covers, then raise it so that it gets a good air flow.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 9:11 AM
  • I do and everything works fine :-) So, I don't know why in "getting started" document is it "Setup is not supported on laptops..."
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 11:02 AM
  •  

Installed perfectly on my IBM T42. Only had to install the Ethernet driver manually. It is working a treat, no issues found so far that would not have been present on a normal desktop. The idea that laptops do not have fast enough disks I find somewhat confusing as you are most likely to add the main mass storage via USB connections and these drives are likely to be 7200rpm or better. Then the only limiting issues are to do with network performance and USB bandwidth.

I actually find the prospect of running Home server on a laptop more appealing as this is a more energy efficient option given that this is going to be running 24/7. Shouldn't power consumption be a major function of this product?

Sunday, March 4, 2007 3:20 PM
  •  Sorc wrote:
    I do and everything works fine :-) So, I don't know why in "getting started" document is it "Setup is not supported on laptops..."

This is what it says in the Getting Started docs for wireless....

Wireless Support

·              You must use an Ethernet cable to connect your server to your broadband router or switch. Wirelessly connecting your server to your broadband router or switch is not supported.

If you connect the laptop to the broadband connection with ethernet wire, it will work fine. As for using laptops as servers, the military uses laptops running Server 2003 regularly.

Jim

Friday, April 20, 2007 2:32 AM