Could not load file or assembly interop.searchapi. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, since a few days, I have the following error when I try to access the home server web site :

"Could not load file or assembly 'Interop.SearchAPI' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format."

I enabled fusion log and the search path is the following :

=== Pre-bind state information ===

LOG: User = NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

LOG: DisplayName = Interop.SearchAPI

(Partial)

WRN: Partial binding information was supplied for an assembly:

WRN: Assembly Name: Interop.SearchAPI | Domain ID: 2

WRN: A partial bind occurs when only part of the assembly display name is provided.

WRN: This might result in the binder loading an incorrect assembly.

WRN: It is recommended to provide a fully specified textual identity for the assembly,

WRN: that consists of the simple name, version, culture, and public key token.

WRN: See whitepaper http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=109270 for more information and common solutions to this issue.

LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Program Files/Windows Server/Bin/WebApps/RemoteAccess/

LOG: Initial PrivatePath = C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\bin

Calling assembly : (Unknown).

===

LOG: This bind starts in default load context.

LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\web.config

LOG: Using host configuration file: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet.config

LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.

LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).

LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/Temporary ASP.NET Files/remote/b30c9c29/40b6d979/Interop.SearchAPI.DLL.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/Temporary ASP.NET Files/remote/b30c9c29/40b6d979/Interop.SearchAPI/Interop.SearchAPI.DLL.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/Windows Server/Bin/WebApps/RemoteAccess/bin/Interop.SearchAPI.DLL.

ERR: Failed to complete setup of assembly (hr = 0x8007000b). Probing terminated.

The stack dump is :

[BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'Interop.SearchAPI' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.]

System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) +0

System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) +39

System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) +132

System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +144

System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString) +28

System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +46

[ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load file or assembly 'Interop.SearchAPI' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.]

System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +618

System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAllAssembliesFromAppDomainBinDirectory() +209

System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(AssemblyInfo ai) +130

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection compConfig) +178

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetPreStartInitMethodsFromReferencedAssemblies() +94

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CallPreStartInitMethods() +332

System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters, PolicyLevel policyLevel, Exception appDomainCreationException) +591

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'Interop.SearchAPI' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +8946484

System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +97

System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +256

The file is present at C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\Bin and I am able to open it with reflector.  So, it is neither missing nor corrupted, so I suspect it is missing a dependency.

I supposed I possibly removed windows search, thinking it is not needed, but I can't find it anywhere in the feature list, so, I supposed this is not it.

I tried to reboot the machine and I still have the problem.

Can someone tell me what can possibly be missing?  I configured it to take a backup of itself twice a day, so, I can restore a file if needed.

Monday, March 21, 2011 10:53 PM

All replies

• Got it.  I am sure it is not the main reason of the failure, but it make it work.  I switched the application pool to "not 32bit".  In other words, I accessed the advanced properties of the "remote app pool" application pool and configured "Enable 32-bit applications" to false.

I suppose it only switched to framework 4 64bit and this version is not missing the file it was looking for.  I suppose I would resolve the previous issue by reinstalling framework 4, but I will leave it as it is for now.

Hope this help someone.

Monday, March 21, 2011 11:08 PM