Uninstall RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have just downloaded Microsoft Security. I am trying to uninstall other security programs as suggested. I am being prevented from uninstalling because the programs are in use elsewear

I have tried to utilise Live Onecare but receive a message that tells me that I do not have access.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

please be aware, that you posted your question inside the Training and Certification forum. And your questions is not related to MS Trainings and Certifications. Also, you posted a problem (question) but you have choosen the discussion type. This is also not recommend, because a good practise in these forums is, that some posts are marked as answer that helped to solve the problem so others with a similar problem can find the solution more easily.

Regarding your problem: Yes, it is recommend to oly have one tool installed. So you should get rid of other software which is doing more or less the same. I would recommend to check the support page of the vendor of the product you have currently installed. Some vendors offer a "cleanup" tool. That is something I know from e.g. Symantec.

If you cannot find a solution on the vendor pages, you could also look for some technet forums targeting your operating system. Maybe you can get some generic hints how you could uninstall the software. (I prefer having a clean system. So if I ever end up with some ugly software that I cannot get rid of easily, I rebuild my system. That way I have to do a little more work (with no risk!) ONCE but I do not end up with an unstable system. Security software chenges stuff deeply inside the OS and I wouldn't be surprised if you get some side effects - when the vendor didn't take care of the clean uninstall!)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:14 AM
    Answerer